HDR too dark on TV

But it’s been a whole hour or so! WHAT ELSE ARE YOU DOING? :rofl:

I had a chance to test the file on my projector, and it has the same issue in HDR. Coco looks dim, Cars 3 looks vibrant and bright.

That’s a Vero 4K -> Denon AVR-4300 -> JVC DLA-RS540.

Here is media info of Coco:

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 45 min
Bit rate : 46.1 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.232
Stream size : 33.8 GiB (85%)
Writing library : ATEME Titan File 3.8.12 (4.8.12.0)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0000 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

Media info of Cars 3 :slight_smile:

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 42 min
Bit rate : 44.5 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.224
Stream size : 31.9 GiB (89%)
Title : MPEG-H HEVC Video / 44544 kbps / 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 Profile 5.1 High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / HDR / BT.2020
Writing library : ATEME Titan File 3.8.3 (4.8.3.0)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0000 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

From that: it looks like just passing that data via DRM_DB vendor packet will do the trick.

We will investigate

I have literally no idea what that means, but it sounds like a great idea?

Leave it with us, and we’ll look in to this. It might need a bit of time though.

I will keep this thread updated and let you know if I need further information from you.

Sam

Thanks, Sam.

Same issue with Coco on my Samsung Q9FN. Dim via the Vero 4K but fine on the internal TV player. 10 bit 444 is set on the Vero. Most movies don’t seem to have a noticeable difference between Vero and internal player but on Coco it’s very obvious.

Acquired the file in question and tested it on my LG B6D. Made sure it was the exact release OP uses with some of the media info data.
It looks identical played via Vero4K and via internal player. The TV switches to HDR mode in both cases just as expected.

1 Like

Are you sure? I’ve tested on multiple Vero 4Ks and displays and the Vero 4K is definitely not displaying it correctly (if we’re talking about the Coco sample). Did you set the 10-bit flag on your Vero, out of interest?

I have a Vero 4k connected to an LG B7 OLED via a Marantz NR1608 AVR.
“HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color” is enabled on the LG for the Vero and the same exact settings on the TV for both inputs, including white balance.
I’m not using the echo|sudo tee-thingy, just the HDR-switch in the OSMC/Kodi-settings.

Can confirm the TV shows the HDR logo in the upper right corner and my AVR overlay says the signal is indeed 4k@24Hz BT.2020 YCbCr and 10bit color depth.

Can’t say any of my tested movies were brighter on the internal player (played off an USB-drive). They were just as dark as on the Vero 4k.
The only difference I noticed is the Active HDR on some movies doesn’t behave the same way on the internal player, but ultimately results in the same picture.
I even checked the opening scene of Coco. I’d consider myself susceptible to PQ deviations, and I couldn’t tell the difference. Maybe my version of Coco is different somehow, any chance to get my hands on that sample discussed here? I’d love to figure out if this is indeed an issue because honestly, most movies are just way too dark in HDR, even in a completely dark room. So I’m low key hoping I have the same issue.

Hi,

See https://collab.osmc.tv/s/CCDAKiBr9SQOIlO.

So far this is the only clip we’ve received from anyone re. this issue

Sam

Hi,

See https://collab.osmc.tv/s/CCDAKiBr9SQOIlO.

So far this is the only clip we’ve received from anyone re. this issue

Sam

Thank you @sam_nazarko!
I’ve downloaded it just now, you can remove the link if you want.

I’ll keep it up – it constitutes fair use.
Do let me know your findings. I hope I can dig in over the weekend.

I can confirm what the others have experienced. THAT sample file of Coco is indeed darker overall and the specular highlights are dimmer, when played on the Vero4k (again, 10bit and HDR etc. was confirmed to be working by the TV and the AVR info overlay). I wouldn’t call it a night and day difference, but it’s definitely there (judging by that short sample), especially when turning Active HDR on. On the internal player it displays fine.

I do not have that issue with my Coco-version of the movie, it works fine on the Vero4k just like on the internal player. I’ve uploaded the sample from my file, maybe it’ll help. It’s from (Sam’s edit: removed scene info).

This is @HDRpotato’s version: https://collab.osmc.tv/s/qFyHTr9Weftw6dc.

My suspicion would be a lack of luminance master data in the other rips people are using. I will know soon enough when I get an opportunity to check.

@rmrector:

Did you rip this? And if so: what software did you use?
If you downloaded it, I don’t care, but it will help me narrow things down to know if you actually ripped this from a disc you own and which software you used.

The file size looks too small for a straight remux for me, but I don’t have the disc at hand to verify.

Sam

I grabbed that version, and to me that’s from an actual re-encoded rip, not a remux. 59MB is way too small to be the actual UHD. Simple math deduces this. The movie is 1 hour 49 minutes long. That sample is 30 seconds long. Say it’s approximately 59MB per 30 seconds, so each minute is ~ 120MB, we’ll say.

109 minutes x 120MB = 13,080MB, which is around 12.77GB (at 1024MB per GB)

Even with the audio cut out of that sample, the movie is FAR larger than 12.77GB at around 41GB for the full UHD remux.

59G is not to small for a UHD, if you remove the extra languages, subs, extras, etc. Very few of my UHD rips have gone much over 50-60G. I use MakeMKV.

EDIT: Opps, just re-read things. I misread 59M as 59G. So ignore me :wink:

Not exactly. I downloaded the complete UHD and then used MakeMKV for the video and a couple of audio streams. Definitely a remux, though (“ATEME Titan File” is a pretty good indication that it’s a professional encoding).

The sample from HDRpotato looks good, but it’s re-encoded (low bitrate and big block of “Encoding settings” gives that away). I can also re-encode a snip from the remux and get a similar result (colors look better on the Vero), with a command like below, with the various values pulled from the remux itself, discovered with ffprobe.

ffmpeg -y -i "in.mkv" -map 0:v:0 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -c:v libx265 -preset veryfast -crf 20 -x265-params "colorprim=bt2020:colormatrix=bt2020nc:transfer=smpte2084:max-cll=0,0:master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,0)" "out.mkv"

The below ffprobe command informed all the above values:

ffprobe  -prefix -unit -pretty -select_streams v -show_frames -i "in.mkv"