HDR video too dark on a HDR TV

@kjetil.kvaloe: Can you take a picture of your general settings of your LG OLED in HDR mode? (OLED Light, brightness, contrast etc). Or just give the values you have in HDR mode; OLED Light and brightness and contrast are the ones of interest.

Hei Tor Gunnar,

Iā€™m pretty sure 10bit444 is on, I can use ā€œcat /etc/local.rcā€ which returns 10bit444. (values taken from memory, might not be correct by the letter)

My marantz doesnā€™t show video info. But the TV accepts the video as HDR, by showing the HDR tag just after starting the video.

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s not the TV settings now. Iā€™m normally using technicolour profile, with 100 oled-light and contrast, and 53 brightness.
I have now:

1. Copied display settings ā€œtechnicolourā€ from when playing internal HDR, to ā€œall other hdmiā€™sā€ (function in the TV), and using Technicolour profile when playing HDR.
  2. Checked all settings inside techicolour when playing HDR, to make sure they match each other.
  3. Factory reset the TV, turned on ā€œLG deep colourā€(HDR) and played videos in ā€œstandardā€ video mode. The vero4k HDR video was still much darker.

Playing a demo HDR from LG from the Vero 4k actually worked, having a wonderful HDR effect. The difference is the file format, and that the demo was stored locally on the vero4k.

When I get back home in a week, Iā€™ll try to use other ways of sharing videos to the vero4k. It might be some weird file share setting, user permission, or other weird stuff.
Also, I found it strange that the program ā€œmediainfoā€ (I installed on the vero4k) could not get any information about any video file from my samba share. After copying the video locally to the vero4k, mediainfo got the correct information.

All this looks good; I was more concerned that you had set oled-light to 50 or brightness to a really low value and expecting bright HDR (I have seen people doing this before).

Sharing affecting this seems little likely to be the reason, but you never know. I have both samba and NFS share without any issues.

Hope you will find a solution.

has your rc.local the x-bit set?
check with ā€˜ls -l /etc/rc.localā€™ and set it with ā€˜chmod 755 rc.localā€™
I think without the x-bit rc.local will not be executed during boot.

Some versions of OSMC (Stretch) did not have +x set.
This has been resolved in the last few updates, but only for new installs.

My Vero 4K

root@osmc:~# ls -l /etc/rc.local
-rw-rā€“r-- 1 root root 305 May 8 17:41 /etc/rc.local

You need to do this

chmod +x /etc/rc.local && reboot

Already done, and now everything works as expected.

1 Like

Glad to hear this Tor

I have now compared about 10 different HDR movies and series on the vero4k vs the TVā€™s internal player. Most videos have the problem illustrated above, while some seem good on both players. Especially demo clips seems to always work.
Iā€™ll keep checking, but Iā€™ll have to prioritize summer activives while the weather in Norway is still good.

Can you send me some links to clips that do work and some that donā€™t? Iā€™d like to analyse colour primaries and transfer characteristics. Iā€™m slowly building up a profile of what I consider non standard HDR.

I have the same dark HDR issue. My TV is LG OLED E7. I have been using Vero for the last 6 months. I placed the ā€œsudo echo 444,10bit > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attrā€ in the rc.local the day I installed the Vero, so I have the HDR enabled.

I start to notice the issue recently, but my symptom is a bit different: the movie starts dark and after a while it turns bright (or becomes normal). I noticed it last night again, while watching a remuxed HDR movie. It played in dark mode for the first 62 minutes and it became normal afterwards.

As I said, I did not notice this issue during the first 3-4 months of Vero. Your help will be appreciated.

Please try some HDR improvements here:

Awesome!
I have tested planet earth 2 and mad max, and both looks wonderfull now.

1 Like

Glad to hear this.