HDR10 gets dimmed to very dark suddenly

Watching the House of the Dragon S01E05 (HDR10) on Vero 4K+, I noticed that the picture became extremely dark suddenly. Stopping the playback and starting again made it come back to normal.

I have upgraded to the September 2022 version.

What is going on here ?

Is it possible it’s just your TV’s auto-dimming feature kicking in? HotD is a pain for that, because it has long scenes with almost unvarying brightness level and colour palette.

Hi Tor,

Hope you are well.

If you can reproduce this, try pressing OK or bringing up the menu rather than stopping playback and see if this improves things. If it does, this should rule out a decoding/device specific issue.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

This is during extreme dark scenes - hence there should be no need for any autodimming.

That’s a different function you’re thinking of (auto brightness limiter). Many TVs have a mechanism which automatically dims the screen whenever they think they detect a static image - regardless of whether it is dim or bright. It’s intended to prevent image retention/screen burn. LG OLED TVs are particularly notorious for this, but other makers do it too.

As I said, HotD is a show that is very likely to trigger this effect, because it has scenes many minutes long with more or less constant brightness levels and unchanging colour palettes - my own LG TV had to be kicked out of auto-dimming mode about once every two minutes during the latest episode.

Same issue here at the wedding. It is possible to turn it off though I think.