Help compiling Ethernet driver for Allo USBridge Sig on OSMC

Hi everyone,

I own an Allo USBridge Sig that I used for OSMC. It is basically a raspberry pi 3 b+ compute module with some different hardware surrouding it. Most things work like expected out of the box but there is however an issue with the Ethernet driver for the Assix Gigabit Ethernet port (AX88179). In the past the support team from Allo helped me fix it. They however have stopped responding, I fear they are no longer in business.

Consequently I have delved into trying to understand the problem and fixing it myself but my Linux skills are limited to say the least.

I think I have discoverd the source for a modified driver that needs to be compiled.

USBridgeSig/ethernet at master · allocom/USBridgeSig · GitHub

But trying to compile isn’t straight forward because by default there are no Kernel headers included in the osmc image. I have read some other posts about this compiling difficulty but I fear I can’t follow all of it because of my inexperience with the subject in general. I would appreciate any help that you can provide. I can SSH into the system and have tried to follow along but can’t get past the Kernel Header issue.

System information:

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,

Stefan

You could try:

sudo apt install rbp2-headers-$(uname -r)

Thank you, that seems to have installed the Kernel headers.
If i’m not mistaken I’l have to figure out how to create a makefile.

Allright, trying my hand on a Makefile

obj-m := ax88179_178a.o

ax88179_178a.o: ax88179_178a.c ax88179_178a.h

all:
        make -C /usr/src/linux-osmc M=$(PWD) modules

clean:
        rm -f *.o *.ko

That gets me the following result:

osmc@osmc:~/assix$ make
cc    -c -o ax88179_178a.o ax88179_178a.c
In file included from /usr/include/linux/signal.h:5,
                 from ax88179_178a.c:19:
/usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf/asm/signal.h:113:2: error: unknown type name 'size_t'
  113 |  size_t ss_size;
      |  ^~~~~~
ax88179_178a.c:20:10: fatal error: linux/slab.h: No such file or directory
   20 | #include <linux/slab.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [<builtin>: ax88179_178a.o] Error 1

Any obvious mistakes or any pointers?

Should I try the compilation in a more default linux image with the same Kernel or is there something wrong with my makefile or other dependencies?

thanks in advance

You could try rbp2-headers-sanitised-$(uname -r) instead.
Remove the other package first.

To be certain. By removing the directory in /usr/src/ or is there an uninstall command?

Use apt-get remove

Thanks, I’ll update when I get time to stumble along.