[HELP NEEDED] Translating OSMC in to other languages

Hi all,

I’ve now added all components (Kodi strings we add downstream, as well as My OSMC) to the list of translatable strings. This is visible here: OSMC @ Weblate.

Cheers

Sam

@sam_nazarko Yesterday I about finished the Dutch translation, all components at or near 100%. Today 5 components show as untranslated (0%). Do you have any idea what happened and can you restore the translations? OSMC - Dutch (nl_nl) @ Weblate

That always happens when the underlying English localize is changed on the GitHub/source side. WebLate syncs with the source and classifies all changed and/or new localizes as new thus clearing previous translations. Unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do about this. Existing source localizes shouldn’t change very often though. :thinking:

So does this mean all of yesterday’s translation work is now gone? There is no way to restore from e.g. a backup? And also does this mean the remaining translations are in jeopardy of being deleted without notice?

Edit: I can’t imagine Weblate does not have a proper option for changing the source without discarding all translation progress. Perhaps a different import method? I would urge you guys to find a better way to deal with this.

Once the strings are committed in to GitHub, then they are there and can’t be lost.

We are still refining the workflow for this, so do bare with us.

It shouldn’t happen again for a long time however.

To add to this, from what I can see, the Dutch translations are not lost, they just need reinstating. For example, if you go to OSMC/My OSMC Updates — Dutch (nl_nl) @ Weblate, you can see the previous translation you added.

Simply clicking ‘Fix String’ should reinstate it.

Great to hear the translations are not lost. Perhaps you can find a way to apply ‘Fix strings’ in bulk? That would be nice. I don’t seem to have access to the Bulk Edit tools in Weblate.

It shouldn’t happen again for a long time however.

It would be more reassuring if you could say “we found out how to refine our workflow and we are pretty sure it won’t happen again”. (You can imagine my frustration of losing several hours of work, wouldn’t wish that for any another translator).

I can appreciate your efforts.

The translation system is new to us, and not something we developed from scratch. We do take daily backups of the WebLate internal system, so I’m sure we could have been able to restore things in that way if necessary.

We’ve already discussed and found a solution for this this evening. We will not adjust strings upstream until all downstream changes from WebLate have been committed. This was something we expected WebLate to handle – but now we know this is not the case, we can prepare things accordingly. Further – once your changes are in Git, they are committed for release.

1 Like

I tried that – but it didn’t seem to work as expected.

We’ve now reinstated as many translation strings as we could. Please check the language(s) you’re working on - mainly Dutch and Czech were affected :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi, I could look into Polish translation if you would like :slight_smile:

Hi

That would be great.
I’ve sent you an invite email

Sam

Hi Sam, nothing came through just yet…

I’ve sent you some details via private message

Thanks

Sam

Hi, i could take a look at the Danish translations.

I can translate to Portuguese of Portugal. I did quite a few translations for Ubuntu Linux through launchpad many moons ago, including gedit.

1 Like

Checking of Czech translation was finished
:sweat_smile:
Jan

1 Like

I can help with Slovenian

2 Likes

Cheers Tor!

1 Like