Help please new user confused about lots of things

Hi,

Having installed osmc from noobs, updated and got wifi to work I thought I’d try and get the BBC I player to run. Sadly I cannot as the instructions start by saying ‘Start kodi’ and I have no idea how to. I cannot find any option marked Kodi and guess I need to install it somehow, but how?

Is Kodi now integrated into osmc or are they separate still?

Playing around I thought I found a way forward to connect to the repository but then discovered my keyboard layout was wrong so could not type any of the following .,\ / and had to use the onscreen keyboard.

I am in the UK and have a UK keyboard with a £ over the 3 ., \ and / are at the base of the keyboard but just give < or > . How do I fix this?

Sadly after typing in the url I got an error , ‘cannot connect …’ I know the url exists as I can see it on my PC just not on OSMC.

I have no idea how to get to the command line at all.

Any help appreciated

OSMC boots into Kodi.

It is what you see on the screen.

as for the bbc iplayer you have to use retrospective there are alot of other guides that recommend a banned addon please dont use them cause that will only result in no support

the zip for the retrospective repository is this url
http://www.rieter.net/net.rieter.xot.repository/net.rieter.xot.repository/net.rieter.xot.repository-1.0.5.zip

all you have to do is go to the addon meny then download the zip and choose install from zip file

then download retrospective and choose British Channel Package it contains the following channels

British Channels

BBC One (iPlayer, UK only)
BBC Two (iPlayer, UK only)
BBC Three (iPlayer, UK only)
BBC Four (iPlayer, UK only)
CBBC (iPlayer, UK only)
CBeebies (iPlayer, UK only)
BBC HD (iPlayer, UK only)
BBC News Channel (iPlayer, UK only)
BBC Parliament (iPlayer, UK only)
BBC Alba (iPlayer, UK only)

enjoy

Things may have installed differently since you started from Noobs, so I would suggest starting over if you don’t have too much time invested in tweaks/config. Download it from the OSMC.TV site and when booting from the first time, make sure your UK keyboard is plugged in to see if it picks it up.

if you don’t want to start over, you could see if this commands works from a SSH connection:
sudo raspi-config

This would rerun the RPi setup and that can give you an option to change the keyboard setting.

Many thanks for the reply Toast. I’m sorry if I am asking a stupit question, but at present I can’t find an add ons option. In videos there’s a video add-on option, but this just lists you tube at present. If I select get more I get a massive list, but no obvious way of entering one of my own.

Please can you tell me which menu I need to look in? I can’t find it and have tried system and programmes as well as most of the others. I say most as I must have missed the correct one.

Many thanks for the reply Redteamleader. A similar question for you I’m afraid. Which menu do I need to look in to get to the command line? I have done quite a lot of fiddling to get this far so don’t really want to start completely afresh if I can help it. I have no idea what an ssh is or where to find the option.

download this file

http://www.rieter.net/net.rieter.xot.repository/net.rieter.xot.repository/net.rieter.xot.repository-1.0.5.zip

settings > add-ons > install from zip file

add this zip file from a storage that you can reach with your OSMC installation

then

settings > add-ons > get add-ons > retrospect (formerly XBMC Online TV) Add-ons

p.s we all been beginners at one point or another the only thing you have to do is to not be afraid to mess up if you break a system so it doesnt work reflash the card and start over :smile: thats the only way one learns how stuff works :smiley: trust me on that

Settings|Add-ons
It’s a bit fiddly - but note that this first step only installs the repository.
Then you have to install the ‘retrospective’ fform the repository as a separate action.
Derek

No worries. SSH is a secure Command Line Interface (CLI) for remotely managing the Linux OS. It is all text based. Depending on what computer you use Win/Mac/Linux, there are different SSH programs. For Windows, the easiest is a free program called Putty. You will need the IP address of the RPi and use osmc/osmc for the login and password. Then use the command listed above. Note, I have not used Noobs, but I would expect it to work. From there you can use you arrow keys to move around and select settings. Good luck.