Hifiberry Amp+

Hi, would it be possible to add the Hifiberry Amp+ driver to the OSMC Config.text? This is quite a popular board for the raspberry pi and it wold help alot for the newbe’s.

Thank You…

I believe you can select this from My OSMC.

No the only one thats missing from My OSMC Is the one for Hifiberry Amp+.

Hi,

I’m also trying to configure the HifiBerry Amp+ on the current release of OSMC, i.e. 2016.02-3 (on a Raspberry Pi 2).

Based on a fresh installation with the image file “OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20160306.img”, the My OSMC menu lists only the following six options:

• none
  • iqaudio-dacplus-overlay
  • iqaudio-dac-overlay
  • hifiberry-digi-overlay
  • hifiberry-dacplus-overlay
  • hifiberry-dac-overlay

However, within the folder /boot/overlays, many further overlays can be found, among which the hifiberry-amp:

osmc@osmc:~$ ls /boot/overlays/
hifiberry-amp-overlay.dtb
hifiberry-dac-overlay.dtb
hifiberry-dacplus-overlay.dtb
hifiberry-digi-overlay.dtb
hy28a-overlay.dtb
hy28b-overlay.dtb
i2c-rtc-overlay.dtb
i2s-mmap-overlay.dtb
iqaudio-dac-overlay.dtb
iqaudio-dacplus-overlay.dtb
lirc-rpi-overlay.dtb
mmc-overlay.dtb
piscreen-overlay.dtb
pps-gpio-overlay.dtb
rpi-dac-overlay.dtb
rpi-display-overlay.dtb
rpi-ft5406-overlay.dtb
rpi-proto-overlay.dtb
rpi-sense-overlay.dtb
sdhost-overlay.dtb
uart1-overlay.dtb
w1-gpio-overlay.dtb
w1-gpio-pullup-overlay.dtb

How can these be activated? Is it an error that these entries do not appear in the configuration GUI of OSMC?

For the moment I use the installer of OSMC provided by HifiBerry as a workaround. However, this is based on an older release of OSMC.

The OSMC version installed with the installer provided currently by HifiBerry was the September release. With that my HifiBerry Amp+ worked in combination with a Raspberry 2Pi. However, updating to a newer OSMC from that version did break it again.

With further searches I managed now to get it working on the version from February 2016. However the configuration has to be done manually by editing the config.txt: sudo nano /boot/config.txt and editing the two lines to:

dtoverlay=hifiberry-amp-overlay
dtparam=audio=off

The solution with defining dtparam=audio=off was discussed in the following threads:

I’m happy now it works. Still it would be good if the HifiBerry amp+ could be added as easily as the other audio boards.

Just in the hope of helping anyone with a HifiBerry Amp / Amp + who encounters this issue six years later, the overlays have been renamed in the later versions of OSMC.

The line to add to /boot/config-user.txt (rather than /boot/config.txt as before) is…

dtoverlay=hifiberry-amp

Also, with my setup of a Pi 2, 03/2022 build of OSMC and a HifiBerry Amp +, the line “dtparam=audio=off” was not necessary.

This was fixed some time ago.

Hey Sam,

I couldn’t find any info relating to how to set the amp up these days, so thought it best to just update the thread. Also the HifiBerry amp overlays aren’t in the list under Pi Config so there’s still a little bit of extra work to do for anyone who has one.

Hey JonnyG,

I’m about to rebuild my OSMC Setup to include a spare AMP2 Setup. I can DM you some details of config and getting it to work with rasptify is that would be helpful?

Thanks

Simon

So from a quick test using an AMP2

You can configu the settings from the OSMC Config Tool. or ensure that the audio is here under the config-user.txt

osmc@osmc:~$ cat /boot/config-user.txt
sdtv_aspect=1
start_x=1
dtparam=audio=off
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac

You can also install the alsa-utils package

sudo apt install alsa-utils

then run

aplay -l 

and if all has worked you should see

osmc@osmc:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 [HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I’m already up and running with the info I posted, thanks.

Hopefully this will help another Amp owner or myself when I forget in a few years.

Cheers!