Hifiberry digi+ not working with January update

I have had same problems with Hifiberry amp+. After setting “dtparam=audio=off” likewise fixed the problem in the January update version but after February update (2016.02-1) the sound problem re-emerged. Not necessarily same problem in both update versions.

I have tried to reboot Raspberry with and without “dtparam” -setting but with no luck, so maybe need to go back to January version.

Same as @simosays here.

How can I revert to an older kernel version (ie. rbp2-image-4.4.0-1-osmc) ? The rbp2-kernel-osmc package seems to prevent it.

Please search.

@sam_nazarko, I am. If you have a direct link, please do not hesitate :wink:

Anyways, wouldn’t allowing the rbp2-kernel-osmc package to have older kernel version dependencies help for quick recoveries in cases like this?

Nothing stops you downgrading the kernel at all. rbp2-kernel-osmc will still be satisfied if you install an older one. Obviously this won’t fix the problem long-term.

After speaking to Stuart today at HifiBerry today they have told me they haven’t kept up with kernel changes. I initially assumed you were missing dtparam=audio=off from your config.txt, but judging by your post history, that appears to not be the case.

Thanks for the reply @sam_nazarko, yes would be a quick fix to at least have some music around here :wink:

I think I am missing something pretty obvious: how do I downgrade to previous kernel version? Have searched around but with no luck. I can’t seem to find how the kernel is selected at boot, from config.txt ?

Try sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp2-image-4.3.3-3-osmc

i can select the ALSA thing, without editing config.txt file. but the digi+ has no light coming out of the optical port, since my old receiver does not have the rca digital port connector that sits next to the optical port i am unable to test that connection. does osmc not support the optical port? i have tried most everything list in this post apart from the sudo command above here. not sure how to run that. can someone help me?

So if I am reading this right, the Digi+ is not compatible with the latest kernel. I need to learn how to downgrade the kernel after installing the April image, correct?

I have no issue with the latest osmc and digi+ with optical output.
Even the latest 04.02 !

I have two PI2’s with the DIGI+ boards on both. One PI is connected via HDMI to a Pioneer VSX-1027 receiver and the 5.1 optical connection works fine as does the 7.1 audio from the HDMI .
The other PI is connected via the NTSC base band video output to an older TV and the optical from the DIGI+ to an older Sony STR DE985 receiver. The audio from this PI is constantly dropping out when playing content from most Dolby Digital 5.1 sources.
The setup and the content played from the two Pi’s is identical with the difference being the receivers the optical is connected too and the fact that one is connected via HDMI and the other baseband video.

A little question: have you select the audio pass through also? I don’t ear any difference…

My digi+ is optical connected with a Sony wireless headset mdr ds-6500 which support dts dolbydigital etc and 7.1 emulation.

All my mkv rip are Dolby 5.1 or Dts.

The sounds is the same with pass through enabled or not. I don’t know the difference. Can you explain me?

Thanks

Glens5 I have same issue with audio dropout in passthru mode.Intermittent Audio Passthrough with RPi3 and HiFiBerry Digi

With pass through enabled the AC3 5.1 is definitely working, only dropping out with both optical and coax as I’ve tried both. 7.1 DTS streams drop out as well but are fine if they are switched to “Unknown - 5.1” from “Unknown Dolby TrueHD 7.1” in the Audio and subtitle settings.
Again, this is only with the PI2 connected to a TV with baseband NTSC and to a non HDMI receiver. The other PI2 I have is connected to a 7.1 receiver with HDMI switching and out to a Samsung monitor. This unit works fine whether the 5.1 audio is coming from the DIGI+ with both optical or coax or 7.1 through HDMI.
Both PI’s were setup the same using the HIFIBerry installer.

Seems like my same issue as I also use composite video but I use a pi3 and the Digi out. I cannot test hdmi audio as I do not have hdmi receiver. I find that if I pause and then unpause movie the audio will come back for a few minutes. Do you see same behavior?

Lamerz, I’m pretty much fumbling around in the dark and can only share my experience with this issue.
Is the HIFI Berry S/PDIF showing up in your system/audio output settings as an option?
I had to change the “dtparam=gpio_in_pin=18” to “dtparam=gpio_in_pin=26” because of the GPIO conflict with the DIGI+ and the remote. After rebooting it showed up as an option.
Be aware though that this entry will also rewrite itself when ever you go back into the PI’s configuation settings.

LouFromDetroit, I wounder if the composite video isn’t a commonality at play here? I was leaning more towards the older Sony receiver I am using in the offending setup but with the complexities of all the code interactions it could very well be. I had seen another thread about disabling Blutooth in the PI3 as it was an issue with the DIGI+ as well.

Specifically my issue only occurs with passthru mode. If I let the osmc up sample to 5.1 all is fine. Like I said, the issue in passthru is intermittent but the digi seems to work fine most of the time in non passthru mode.

Anyone knows if it has been fixed ? And what was the real problem ?

The command that worked for me with hifiberry digi+
sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp2-image-4.4.6-3-osmc

this one hasn’t : sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp2-image-4.3.3-3-osmc

thanks

Improvements coming soon