High cpu usage after August 2017 update

Well we might be also in a situation where it might be coming from a none kodi patch, started to look into that now

Perhaps I have some more helpful information:
I’m using a 4k with OSMC Skin actual OSMC release and TVheadend with channel logos.
If I customize the skin home at Settings -> Interface -> Skin -> Configure skin -> Home -> Customize Home Menu and DISABLE the PVR/Live TV and Radio entries, the CPU load drops down from 40-41% to values ranging from below 10% till 22%.
So, just speculating but it looks like the issue is isolated to these both entries in my system and perhaps it has to do with logos?

Thanks, let me take another look. I thought I had already tried with them disabled
Edit: Just checked I don’t have them enabled.

It looked like an odd commit to me. We had a problem with skin settings not being saved, but we have a different downstream workaround (still included) for some time.

Sam

So, last try to add some value here:

Took my backup OSMC device, Raspberry Pi 2, TVheadend and Tvheadend HTSP Client installed and active.
CPU load in main menu: 58-60 %
Went to Settings -> Interface -> Skin -> Configure skin -> Home -> Customize Home Menu and DISABLED the PVR/Live TV and Radio entries:
CPU load goes down to 17.5 - 18.5%.

To make it more sick: If I deactivate Tvheadend HTSP client and uninstall TVHeadend with final reboot and deactivate all home menu entries except Settings … the high CPU load of the main menu stays at 58-60% till I enter the Settings menu.

To keep the readers here update. It now seems that not a particular Kodi patch causes the high cpu (they all had a slight impact) but a OSMC patch (https://github.com/osmc/osmc/blob/master/package/mediacenter-osmc/patches/all-091-enable-some-addons-always.patch) which enable several addons including all language addons.
More testing is needed to figure out why this happens but at least a bit of progress have been made after two days of compiling mediacenter builds.

1 Like

Here’s hoping…

I appreciate all the work being done to find the problem and resolve it. As I am now experiencing the same issue on my Pi3, i’m willing to help in any way I can.

FYI - I just did a complete reinstall of the July image (though, I did restore my settings and DB from the My OSMC backup after reinstall - without any addons) and the problem remains. Is there any possibility I’ll have better results reinstalling the June image and restoring only the database and thumbs?

Thanks again for all you do, OSMC Team.

Duke

UPDATE:

Uncertain if it is of any help at this stage but I’ve done a full reinstalled of the June image and only restored the Database, Library and Thumbnail folders and all other settings restored manually (fstab, System settings, Sources, etc. also installed SMB and FTP Servers for App Store) and the problem still persists. Off to work now… more tomorrow.

Hi all,

Just want to say how much i appreciate the effort going into resolving this issue.

I am also experiencing the high cpu usage with the latest September release and the exact same symptoms that everyone is experiencing. I’m using the Vero4K device.

I cannot wait for it to be resolved.

Great work guys!

Your problem is unrelated to the bug we are hunting which only was introduced in August

My apologies. It was not my intent to jack this thread.

Duke

1 Like

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commits:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Thanks @dillthedog and @fzinken for investigative work.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Yep looks like resolved. With OSMC skin on Main Menu I now have Pi3 at 10% CPU and Vero4k at 8% CPU.

I’m seeing around 14% CPU for kodi.bin on the OSMC skin, just as I did during this morning’s testing.

I’m curious why @fzinken is getting 10% CPU since I’m also on a Pi3 and my configuration is virtually as it arrived in the initial installation. (Goes off to sulk in the corner…)

My apologise, I miscalculates from my graph. I just checked top and in top it is 14.5%

Good job!

My Pi 2 went down from 58-60% to around 25% CPU
and my Vero 4k from 41% to around 20% CPU

Both devices have TVHeadend installed and Tvheadend HTSP CLient add-on active with logos displayed by the widgets in the main menu for the Radio and PVR/TV items.

Unfortunately made no difference on my system although im using a different skin round 55%.

Its currently 35% on osmc skin main menu.

So could be maybe a addon issue or something.

Is there a way to track down what using the kodi.bin?

Perhaps some other skins were also affected by this issue, but of the skins provided in the standard OSMC build, only the OSMC skin seems to have been affected.

So, unless you have a baseline CPU figure for the OSMC skin, 35% might actually represent an improvement. The figure will also be affected by the box you’re running.

Tracking down what’s happening inside kodi.bin is problematic but you can try simple things like disabling/enabling add-ons to see what effect it has. If you have a spare SD card, you can also try a fresh installation and methodically make changes, noting what happens each time you add or configure something.

Tried the fix on a Vero 4K with the skin I use (modified Aeon Nox): average CPU usge about 10% over a couple of minutes. CPU usage is more jumpy instead of constant 40%+ (now 8%-22%). No widgets or any stuff, just like I tested before. Any submenu is still a few % lower though, but yeah not caring.

Looks like the issue is fixed. Thanks for everyone involved helping!

Makes me once more a happy Vero and OSMC user. Support is just great. Recommending the OSMC/Vero 4K combo to anyone who asks me. Just works. :slight_smile:

Why did I ever bother with some Android devices that can’t even get basic functionality like refresh rate changes right? Silly me…

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words.

I am glad you are enjoying your Vero 4K. If you run in to any issues in the future, give us a ping.

Looks like you manage to fix the issue. Congratulations to all of you and let me thank you all for the great service you provide.

Only one question. When are you going to release this update (official)?

Once again thanks!!