High cpu usage after August 2017 update

Yes. Problem solved: from around 45% to 17% in main menu.

Thank you very much for the time spent looking into this and solving it.

OSMC’s update policy is explained here: Keeping your OSMC system up to date - General - OSMC

Update looks good. Thanks guys!

Before
Before

After
After

9 posts were split to a new topic: High CPU with FSTAB based SMB mounts

After the October update, large improvement - thanks OSMC team!

However… for some reason there is still a big (100%) difference in Idle CPU utilization just by navigating out of OSMC home page. In the home page, after a reboot and with OSMC being idle, I see 17% of CPU utilization on an RPi3. When navigating to the Music menu, 6.6%. The latter is the same idle utilization that was seen with the Aug/Sep updates after moving away from the home page.

The October update seems to have improved the situation but not completely eliminated the problem.

My install has no addons at all installed, and it’s a headless OSMC used only for HiFi audio (hifi-berry card)

Anyone else seeing the same?

If it is headless try the Estuary Skin if that gives you a lower CPU usage.
Main menu still has higher CPU usage which could be caused by the widgets or different screen redraw frequency

So with the OSMC updates as of today, still seeing 18-20% CPU on the main menu, and 6-7% when on a submenu.
So on my music-only headless RPi3 I’m saving a few watts & degrees with a cronjob. Reason is, the build is headless but touching a softkey in the android remote control (yatse) can land you in the main menu and OSMC will stay there till further notice… this cronjob ensures the issue always goes away after a few minutes.

#! /bin/bash

# execute this script with crontab
# */20 * * * * /bin/bash /home/osmc/openMusicWindow.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

# This script is a workaround to the "OSMC bug - High CPU issue with the Kodi process"
# As of Kodi 17.5, OSMC with Kodi idle and the GUI on the Main Menu consumes 20% CPU on RPi3
# By changing the GUI to any sub-menu such as Music, CPU decreases to 6% and temperature decreases
# a few degrees

echo Calling Kodi via JSON to open the Music Window
/usr/bin/curl --user kodi:yourPassword --header 'Content-Type: application/json' --data-binary '{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "GUI.ActivateWindow", "params": { "window": "music" }, "id": 1}' http://localhost:80/jsonrpc
echo

After using the the cron hack (post above) to keep the music menu always open in the skin and achieving normal temps, for 6 months or so, wihtout thinking last month I changed the osmc skin to kodi’s default (estuary). Yesterday I realized that the Pi has been running at 75 degress for a month.

I.e. Estuary, in the Music submenu, causes osmc’s kodi to consume 40% CPU in idle, for whatever reason.

In the image, that’s OSMC+ Estuary/Music submenu before (75 deg), then OSMC shutdown ( 48-52 deg), then again OSMC+Estuary/Submenu with all addons removed, then finally the change to the OSMC skin.

Rpi 3b, headless Kodi, no addons. So after 9 months the skin bug is still there. The headsup though is that the submenu hack only works with OSMC’s skin, for some reason.