How do I connect to SAMBA server?

OK, please treat me like a day one newbie!

I just received my Vero 4K+ (note: make that power lead at least twice and long, please!) and after some messing around I finally managed to get it up and running (I think!).

I want to be able to share files between my PC (Windows 10) and the Vero, so I 've installed the Samba server, which is running. I have a wired ethernet connection to the Vero from my PC (via a router).

How do I connect to the Vero from my PC now? I can’t see the Vero when I launch Windows File Explorer. What steps do I need to take to make the connection?

On Vero go to Settings - System Info to find the IP Address in case you don’t know it (best is to assign a fixed IP to the Vero in your home router.

Then just in Windows explorer type \\IP-Address\ from there you should be able to see the shares and can assign a drive to them.

Thanks very much for the reply.

When I go to settings/system, the IP address is showing as 192.168.0.26 When I type the address into Windows Explorer //192.168.0.26/ all I get is the following:

But… this IP address was the one I entered when first installing my Vero to specify networking options and to get the internet connection working, so isn’t this the IP address of my PC?

If I open a command prompt on my PC and type ipconfig, I get the following:

Windows IP Configuration

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cable.virginm.net
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b814:576a:f40:e7d0%10
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.26
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Sorry for the stupid questions but this is just bit over my head!

Wrong slash needs to be \\192.168.0.26\

Yes, sorry. My typo on the post only. In Windows Explorer \\192.168.0.26\ returns exactly the same as in the screenshot provided.

So what happens if you double click on the entry in the bottom left (the computer with the IP)?

Nothing. :frowning:

EDIT: OK hold the phone!

I decided to go back into the Vero Network menu and change to “use DHCP” that changed the IP address and now I can access the Vero through the PC. As far as I can tell that’s going to work! I’ll report back later after some testing.

Thank you so much for your help so far. I really appreciate it.

OMG, just saw it now that you had same IP on Windows PC as on the Vero. That for sure didn’t work.

New problem: I can now connect to the Vero with my PC, but can’t see the USB HDD that I’ve attached to the Vero (using the powered hub that came with my Vero).

EDIT: Although I can see the drive name in the Vero OSD, when I select the drive it doesn’t do anything or show any of the contents. Does the drive have to be formatted for a specific file system? Currently it’s formatted as NTFS and has about 1.5TB of videos on it.

NTFS should work, even so a native Linux format (like EXT4, BTRFS,…) is better.

Please upload complete logs via MyOSMC -> Log Uploader so that we can try to see what is happening.
Did you rebooted the Vero after the change of IP?

Thanks. Yes, I’ve rebooted the Vero. Link to log files below.

https://paste.osmc.tv/nokuvavaqe

This looks all good. So if you connect from Windows to the Vero and then open TRISHA it doesn’t show the disk content?

TRISHA is a USB stick I have inserted. I can see the contents of TRISHA via my PC and also on the Vero, but with the USB HDD I can’t see the contents on the Vero or even see it at all on the PC.

In Kodi for example, I go to movies > enter file section and I see the following:

Auto Mounted Drives
TRISHA
+Add videos

So if I move to TRISHA (USB stick) I see the files I have installed there. No problems.
If I move to Auto Mounted Drives, I see the following:

USB DRIVE (my usb hdd)
TRISHA

If I select USB drive and hit OK, nothing happens.

Ok, yeah just saw that is a smaller USB stick and you have a 2TB USB Drive.
But good news is we know that the sharing in general works.

Just saw that your USB Disk is not picking up any partitions. Can you connect it to your Windows PC and show how it is looking in Diskmanager?

Alternatively we could do this via SSH directly on the Vero.

I have a single 2TB partition on the USB HDD. It works perfectly in Windows (been using it for a couple of months so far).

Windows disk management reports the following:

1863.00 GB NTFS
Healthy (Basic Data Partition)

Is the drive externally powered?

Yes. I’m using the one sold on the osmt.tv store.

Ok, then I would suggest we check on the Vero via Command Line. Do you know how to use SSH? Can read below. If you are Ok with it I can write you some commands to check.

Also when you put your hand on the disk can you feel it rotating?

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

I’ve kind of found a solution!

As you know, there are two USB sockets on the side of the Vero. As you are looking directly at them, I had the remote control dongle inserted to the right-hand USB socket, and the powered USB hub inserted into the left-hand USB socket. This configuration did not make the USB HDD visible.

I decided to swap the remote control dongle into the left socket and the USB hub into the right socket, and not it works. It would be interesting to find out why that is.

Me too as the two ports for that part should be identically (one is OTG capable but that should not impact the drive mount)