How i can preserve my remote.xml and Keyboard.xml after an upgrade?

I have make some modification on this two files… for keyboards.xml i have installed an addons apparently help me it’s “Keymap Editor”.
Apparently this addons create a file called “gen.xml” on “/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/” and this files it’s be loaded when osmc start and it’s been preserved every upgrade.

But whit remote.xml apparently it’s can’t works… the stock file “remote.xml” it’s located on “/usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/” and apparently every time an upgrade it’s been installed for OSMC this files it’s been resetted to stock and i lost my modification.

Can someone suggest some ways for preserve all modification ?

For a temp workaround i have create a double xml files… and every upgrade i swap my files over stock remote.xml but if exist a way for preserve this modification it’s better :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance…

copy remote.xml to your personal .kodi dir
cp /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/remote.xml /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml

and edit the one in /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps

That has made my special mappings on the remote to stay through updates

1 Like

yeah… great suggestion… tomorrow i copy immediatelly :slight_smile:

I thinks i can also copy it by FTP…

Sure you can use ftp, as long as the edited file gets to /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml you should be okey

Last question… on userdata/keymaps/remote.xml… i need to maintain all value or i can put only the value i want to override to default remote.xml ?

i dont know if you need to, but i’ve chosen to kept the whole remote.xml in there.

Lol… i thinks i can try… i try to leave here only my modifield value… it’s possibly this working like stock advancedsetting.xml :slight_smile:

probably does, let me know

ok…on next upgrade of osmc when stock file return to default i try to edit the remote.xml from userdata and try to maintain only the modified value and see if this override the stock value…

Any remote/keyboard configs in .kodi/userdata/ will persist through upgrades and override the stock conf files.

Ok… i have tryed to put on userdate this my edited remote.xml:
`<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

ActivateWindow(Home) ContextMenu ActivateWindow(Video,Addons) ReloadKeymaps ` I want to try to know if only this 4 button it's override the stock remote.xml like it's working for advancedsetting.xml..... If it's not work it's not a problems......... i copy the stock files here and after make same modification :slight_smile: Thanks for all for suggestion......

When you say “like advancedsettings” you mean that the file in userdata takes priority then yes, it works like advancedsettings. System config is read first in alphabetical order then userdata in alphabetical order the last value read is the value used. The naming of the .xml only changes when it is read, it doesn’t need to be named remote.xml it can be named whatever as long as it is valid .xml

That’s it’s the point… now i understand because the gen.xml created by me using the “Keymap editor” it’s been working and the value inside this .reg files override the value stored in default kaymap.xml :slight_smile:

At this point i thinks this my created “new” remote.xml it’s working whitout a problems… great info :slight_smile: