How secure is webserver?

if say someone has login/password - can he/she just browse media and click buttons or can upload a malicious software/download all files remotely?

regards

It has a known 0 day exploit in it…

S

damn… that’s a problem, i guess i’ve been hacked.
still, hope no vital data was leaked…

will re-install from scratch and reconfigure the network :frowning:

What makes you think you’ve been hacked ?

my brother was experimenting with network configurations of a new router and put the RPi in DMZ zone, with a webserver enabled with no password.
later on he called me to say that the RPi is strangely active and the external HDD with data is making some noises (as when someone is copying smth). when he said the RPi is in DMZ zone i told him to disable this immediately, and as soon as he did this the activity stopped. so i guess, someone was browsing data (at least) or maybe was transferring it (i hope not).

well, lesson learnt. never give access to new toys to someone else without a prior instructing lesson)

OSMC should never be front-facing. It’s not designed for that.

See https://www.sec-consult.com/fxdata/seccons/prod/temedia/advisories_txt/20150113-2_Kodi_XBMC_Cross_Site_Request_Forgery_v10.txt

now i wonder all that i have is just format the SD card, reinstall and configure or i have to search on external hdd for malicious software?

Just reinstall.

I doubt you were severely compromised: most people just compromise boxes and set up root access on them nowadays

S

thx, reinstalling. should i check for updates within the OSMC menu?

After a fresh install of RC2, yes.

okay, got 2 errors OSMC couldn’t update, then an offer to close OSMC and to update. just FYI

We need a log to work out what’s up

S

unfortunately, not available at the moment, but i see i’ve updated to RC3.

You’re not on RC3 if you haven’t got all the updates yet

S

just to be sure, this is a normal sd card content?

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on    
/dev/root       7.0G 1012M  5.6G  16% /
devtmpfs        364M     0  364M   0% /dev
tmpfs           368M     0  368M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           368M  5.0M  363M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           368M     0  368M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1  240M   24M  216M  10% /boot
tmpfs            74M     0   74M   0% /run/user/1000

If someone has login/password, then the security is through the chimney. It’s like “If someone is in my house, can he steal stuff?”

not from the ssh, but from webinterface. these are 2 different passwords, fyi.

my brother was experimenting with network configurations of a new router and put the RPi in DMZ zone, with a webserver enabled with no password.

Never use the DMZ function - If you want access to e.g. web og ssh server - use portforwarding on router - for SSH you might consider to use another port than 22 - eg. forward port 2222 to 22 - And off course change default osmc password BEFORE opening anything on router :smile: