How to add a new folder to the Home directory?

Using the RPi2. Newbie here. I wanted to rename the “osmc” folder in the home directly but am unable to do that. How do I add a new folder instead?

What are you planning to do? Please explain before you break anything because you can not rename the osmc folder as it contains everything needed to run your media center.
While creating a second folder in /home doesn’t carry any logic approach without a second user being created.

I just switched over from OpenELEC to OSMC. All of my CinemaVision action files point to /storage/CinemaVision. I’d like to add a /storage folder to put my CinemaVision content, otherwise I have to manually update all of my cv action files to point to a new folder.

Create a link!
sudo ln -s /home/osmc/ /storage/CinemaVision

Here is a cheatsheet for how to navigate in a Linux shell: Cheatsheets and Tutorials for users new to Linux based operating systems

1 Like

Also to be sure this would mean your video files are on your SD Card which may run out of space. If you have attached an external drive it is mounted under /media

1 Like

I have a 32GB Samsung Evo+ SDHC and all of my CinemaVision content is only about 5GB.

Being a newbie to OSMC I’ll need step-by-step instructions on how to create a link. How do I get to the Linux shell in OSMC?

It helps to read the FAQ and Wiki :wink:

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

1 Like

Yep, doing it now. I created the link but when I refreshed the screen in Windows viewing the samba share it isn’t there. I tried “sudo mkdir storage” in the home directory and still nothing.

Folders in the home directory will not magically pop up as a sambashare.
I’d just copy the cinemavision folderstructure to somewhere in /home/osmc/ with the filebrowser and give it the new mediapaths.
Without a bit of linuxknowledge you will unfortunately have a harder time setting up what you are trying to do than adjust the paths for cv again.