[HOW-TO ALL PLATFORMS]Can I use Netflix on OSMC?(post 4)

Netflix does not allow 4K at this time. It’s them not allowing widevine to access anything better than 720.

1 Like

Thanks @bmillham. I will stick to the recommended settings for now.

To be a little more specific: you can access 1080p streams on Netflix, but you can’t play them well, and quite possibly never will be able to. YouTube videos can be played using hardware acceleration, but Netflix videos have to be decoded in software - that’s a restriction imposed by Widevine, and which can’t be worked around. So you can play 1080p Netflix videos, but they’ll always be jerky as hell. So the best thing to do is not to try to access anything above 720p.

On another side. I just installed the script and ran it on a vero4k+ and a vero4k.
The installation of all through the script worked on both sides fine.
Executing the netflix addon after that worked on the vero4k+, but failed on the vero4k with an error message and the following log entry.
I then re-imaged the vero4k completely (well, it was a very old installation updated over time) and I thought there was something broken. But after imaging it, same error message shows up in the logs.
Any hint as to what it could be?

2019-07-10 13:39:51.408 T:3664765664 WARNING: [plugin.video.netflix (0)] Backing file does not exist or is not readable
2019-07-10 13:39:56.445 T:4064808960   ERROR: Control 55 in window 10025 has been asked to focus, but it can't
2019-07-10 13:40:20.030 T:3654284000   ERROR: [plugin.video.netflix (1)] Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/addon.py", line 90, in <module>
                                                route(filter(None, g.PATH.split('/')))
                                              File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/addon.py", line 49, in lazy_login_wrapper
                                                return func(*args, **kwargs)
                                              File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/addon.py", line 77, in route
                                                g.REQUEST_PARAMS)
                                              File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/resources/lib/navigation/__init__.py", line 21, in execute
                                                executor(pathitems=pathitems)
                                              File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/resources/lib/navigation/directory.py", line 44, in root
                                                self.profiles()
                                              File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/resources/lib/navigation/directory.py", line 50, in profiles
                                                listings.build_profiles_listing(api.profiles())
                                              File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/resources/lib/common/misc_utils.py", line 238, in timing_wrapper
                                              File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/resources/lib/api/shakti.py", line 65, in profiles
                                                return common.make_call('list_profiles')
                                              File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/resources/lib/common/misc_utils.py", line 238, in timing_wrapper
                                              File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/resources/lib/common/ipc.py", line 61, in make_call
                                                return make_addonsignals_call(callname, data)
                                              File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/resources/lib/common/ipc.py", line 98, in make_addonsignals_call
                                                raise Exception('AddonSignals call timed out')
                                            Exception: AddonSignals call timed out
2019-07-10 13:40:27.762 T:3639603936   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.netflix/
2019-07-10 13:40:27.779 T:4064808960   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.netflix/) failed

@joakim_s Thank you for your script!

1 Like

I can’t seen any obvious reason, might wanna take it up ate the scripts github page, see link earlier in thread.

Unless you trying to start it right after Kodi has booted, since the is a background process that got to start first.

Well - it was started if I understood it right. Did it exactly as on the vero 4k+ …
Will check today again and start the vero4k (basement in the gym - does not run 24/7). If it fails, will send in an issue in the github page of the maker :slight_smile:

Anyone on Hyperion.ng running this? I have noticed trying to install Netflix or anything needed beta dependencies from the marcelvent repo seem to really screw up hyperion.ng on the Vero 4k+

Netflix addon has no dependecies on marcelvent beta repo, last time i checked.

Hi,

A problem I previously thought was resolved has re-appeared.

I am unable to watch anything when connected to the VPN. I have connected to the same server on my PC and I am able to. The error log is below.

https://paste.osmc.tv/lawapaponi

I don’t understand why I am able to watch on my PC but not on my Pi, even when connected to the same server at the same time.

If anyone could help, that would be great. My wife and kids are getting impatient.

Thanks,
Mark

Just installed Netflix on my vero 4+ for the first time with help of @joakim_s script

Couldn’t have been easier, thanks @joakim_s

I wonder is the chrome os image deleted after what’s needed is extracted from it ?

1 Like

It should be deleted after widvine library is extracted

1 Like

When installing on rpi3 scripted installer seems to go fine but then when I install the netflix plugin it throws an error to check the kodi log. In the kodi.log I am getting the following:

2019-08-21 19:41:59.155 T:1393947360 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<–
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type ‘exceptions.LookupError’>
Error Contents: no codec search functions registered: can’t find encoding
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/addon.py”, line 19, in
g.init_globals(sys.argv)
File “/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/resources/lib/globals.py”, line 217, in init_globals
self.PATH = unquote(self.URL[2][1:]).decode(‘utf-8’)
LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can’t find encoding
–>End of Python script error report<–

Is there something I missed?

There has been an update (4 days ago) to inputstream.helper, the addon that downloads the widevine libary.

So I recommend this:
rm -r /home/osmc/.kodi/cdm
cd /home/osmc/addons
wget https://github.com/emilsvennesson/script.module.inputstreamhelper/archive/master.zip
mv master.zip script.module.inputstreamhelper.zip

In kodi:
goto Settings->Addon browser->install from zip
Navigate to Homefloder->addons
choose script.module.inputstreamhelper.zip

Run netflix again, if that doesn’t work run my Netflix-prep script and it downloads the latest Netflix addon again.

2 Likes

That worked for me but I had to reboot once I followed the instructions. Before rebooting I was still getting the error

joakim_s - thank you the help here. Followed your steps exactly as outlined but no joy still the “check log error” and log is still showing:

2019-08-22 10:41:36.352 T:1762972384 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<–
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type ‘exceptions.LookupError’>
Error Contents: no codec search functions registered: can’t find encoding
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/addon.py”, line 19, in
g.init_globals(sys.argv)
File “/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.netflix/resources/lib/globals.py”, line 217, in init_globals
self.PATH = unquote(self.URL[2][1:]).decode(‘utf-8’)
LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can’t find encoding
–>End of Python script error report<–
2019-08-22 10:41:36.525 T:1424483040 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.netflix/
2019-08-22 10:41:36.526 T:1916126768 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.netflix/) failed

Popped over to the Amazon VOD addon to be sure CDM removal took and it wants to download widevine again so good to go I think (been having the same issue before using the amazon addon but installed it last night to see if it would pull down widevine just in case last night – amazon VOD addon seems to work just fine). Tried reboots and the delete/fresh run of script recommended by k2u3 as well. Am I just pulling the wrong script by any chance? I grabbed from the top without combing through all the posts here.

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/zjoasan/netflix-install-script/master/netflix_prep_install.sh

From the error above I can’t actually sort out what is wrong with lines 19 and 217 (or what they rely on) but then I have practically 0 actual knowledge of this stuff. Thanks again for the help!

I’ve got to investigate this, seems there are numeral issues with Netflix right now. Going to do a clean install on a Pi3, and remove and install the Netflix add on script on the Vero4k to see if i can reproduce any of these issues.

Seems to be an issue with the authentications ervice in latest 0.15 version, and my script downloads the latest. You can get it to work by downloading 0.14.6 version from the github Releases · CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix · GitHub

Issue created on Github, and debugs logs uploaded

joakm_s – thank you so much for the followup and testing - I will try the previous version.

0.14.6 works perfectly. Can’t thank you enough joakim_s – the wife is overjoyed to have Netflix integrated with OSMC/Kodi.