[HOW-TO ALL PLATFORMS]Can I use Netflix on OSMC?(post 4)

I’ve mentioned this to the relevant people, thanks for the heads-up

Sam

I can see that this has already been fixed in the latest version of Inputstream Helper.

See

wow it was fast…
I’ve noticed that the actual change “Update Chrome OS ARM hardware id’s” was done "committed on 5 Oct ", but it was only pushed to new version 3 days ago, probably thanks to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m trying to get Netflix to run on my raspi osmc system. Netflix seemed to have installed ok but when I start it, it doesn’t ask me how I want to log in. The osmc logo spins for a bit and that’s it. I installed Netflix as suggested, and I didn’t get any errors along the way.

You must realize if it is not a Netflix certified device, the only real way you are going to get Netflix is by using a web browser on a PC or mini-PC or micro-PC that is compatible in terms of hardware and software.

Netflix Certified Devices

Most hacks actually would have to use a browser whether you know it or not. A good browser can be launched from the command line with options to make the window only a video picture without the tabs and address bar or any ability to navigate or use the web browser. You are only playing a picture.

Open websites in application mode - Google Chrome

Web App Mode - Firefox Addons

After that is achieved, you have to make sure you HDMI connections all pass Netflix testing.

HDMI Scaling Netflix Certification

You can use Netflix Test Studio to do this.

Netflix Test Studio

This isn’t true. Netflix supports playback on Widevine L3 compliant devices, albeit with more restrictions (i.e. resolution output); depending on studio. HDCP is not mandated for Widevine L3 playback either. Users can and do access Netflix at up to 720p with OSMC and Kodi’s InputStream implementation.

Last I heard, there were issues with current inputstream.adaptive implementation or if it was inputstream.helper. But there probebly will be a solution soon, i kknow there is one for kodi 19, just don’t know if it will make it to v.18.

There was a problem with Inputstream Helper picking the wrong architecture Widevine libraries for some platforms. This was actually addressed some time ago – but the fix wasn’t pushed until a couple of days ago.

Yes, that is true of Widevine compliant devices.

For me the best way to do Netflix is to use the Chrome Launcher here.

Chrome Launcher - Github

And change the website from Google Search page to Netflix in the addon.xml file.

Chrome Launcher plugin addon.xml

It even is capable of using your remote with Netflix. Admittedly, I do not have the Vero 4K and have not used OSMC for a couple years now. I am waiting to get paid tomorrow to order one and start developing some Kodi addons.

You don’t need to use a web browser to achieve this on OSMC. I suspect doing so wouldn’t be ideal in terms of overhead.

I really need to get reacquainted with OSMC, and honestly just don’t know how that all works there. I am a returning user. The last time I used OSMC was on a Raspberry Pi 3 and that is how I did it. I just kind of moseyed on over to this topic and posted. I have been working on some other projects building container images for a long time and just now getting back to working with Kodi.

I really suggest you spend sometime on that before you continue posting any other posts on this forum the posts you have done in the last hours especially with the massive amount of external links could be consider as SPAM

I am seriously sorry about that. You know it has been so long since I have been on a public forum. In fact, not since the .COM boom. That was when a lot of the Internet was really bad with forums and chats. And I know what you mean. I have kind of gotten cozy with the private forums used for my work. I did not mean to make that impression. I am considering developing for OSMC or anther Kodi Embedded Linux OS. Maybe just keep those convos on Github instead. :wink:

Hi Joakim: After the Nov’20 update and with Netflix not playing, I checked the log and found the windevine error. Then, I followed your August '19 post and the problem was fixed. Thanks for the help.

/ Earl :slight_smile:

Hello, @joakim_s - I’m trying to get Netflix working under Matrix, and not succeeding. It installs okay, but when I try to run it, it errors with “No module named ‘Crypto’”. Any ideas?

Hi
Try the following:
GitHub - CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix: InputStream based Netflix plugin for Kodi

Trying that is what gives me the error.

I got past that error by replacing this:

sudo apt-get install python-crypto
sudo apt-get install build-essential python-pip
sudo pip install -U setuptools
sudo pip install wheel
sudo pip install pycryptodomex

with:
sudo apt-get install python3-crypto
sudo apt-get install build-essential python3-pip (edit: I think it was python3-pip not python-pip)
sudo python3 -m pip install -U setuptools
sudo python3 -m pip install wheel
sudo python3 -m pip install pycryptodomex

it seems otherwise it installs for python 2.7
However afterwards im running into different issues so I am not sure if this is correct.

1 Like

That’s right, since my install script installs for python 2, I knew i had to update it for Matrix. But since I’ve recived the blessing of a little girl (2nd of march) I haven’t kept up with the prerelease of Matrix internally. Will try to make a v.19 version of the automation script, this weekend.

2 Likes

Yes, if I execute that lot, reboot, and then install and launch the Netflix add-on, it works. Thanks!

(Still can’t get Amazon VOD working, though. I think that might be a bug with the add-on.)