How to check if the IR remote control works (GPIO)?

Hi, I’m new arround here.

I’ve installed the OSMC immage 2015.06-1 for the RPi1, hooked up an IR receiver on the GPIO (18 / +3.3 / Gnd) enabled the support in the menù, but it doesn’t seem to work.

There is a method to check if the IR receiver works?

I have a samsung remote and a HP remote (HSTNN-PR10 RC6)

Did you also choose the lircd.conf for your remote in OSMC settings app? Or supply your own?

You can enable debugging and tail your log file from ssh, that will show your keypresses if it’s working properly. here’s a link to show how to tail the log.

You can also easily check that your remote is sending a signal by aiming it at a (cell phone) camera to see the flashes.

Hi, tanks for the reply.
I’ve tried

sudo tail -f /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

but it returns only error on CEC, nothing on the remote.

The remote work, i don’t know if the receiver work.

To test if the receiver is working you would need to look at raw data. First you would shut down lircd:

sudo systemctl stop lircd_helper@lirc0

Then you can run mode2 to look at raw data from the IR receiver:

mode2 -d /dev/lirc0

When you press buttons on any remote you should now see lines like:

space 533
pulse 592
space 1648
pulse 607
space 1641
pulse 596

If you see lines like this you can be fairly sure the IR receiver is working.

To get your remote actually doing anything you would need an appropriate profile for the remote. If none of the bundled ones work you would either need to download one from somewhere like this (and typically you might need to edit it a bit) or you could learn your remote using irrecord:

irrecord -d /dev/lirc0 my-remote.lircd

Following the onscreen instructions.

After that you would select your remote in the remotes section of My OSMC.

You can test key codes being sent to Kodi with the ‘irw’ command - however this will only show any results if you already have an appropriate remote profile selected.

Hi, tanks a lot for the reply, it was very usefull!

As I thought, the receiver does not seem to work @3.3V (an old TSOP1738) the Rpi work fine because when I unplug the cable, the spikes trigger some data.

So now im waiting for a new TSOP38238 :smile: