How to create NFS shares in Windows 10

I thought that my last problem (constant buffering on large files) had been resolved with assistance from this group when someone suggested mounting my Windows shares via NFS instead of SMB. On performing this, the buffering issues were much improved and I thought it was all done and dusted. However, I have noticed that several shares stop working, while others continue to stay connected.

I have spent quite a lot of time searching for answers today on this forum and just generally, and I was wondering if the fault lies with my Windows 10 Pro PC has not been appropriately setup for allowing access to the Windows Shares via NFS (I do not use a NAS as I have plenty of storage within my PC). There does not seem to be any definitive guide on this and even the walk through ‘File sharing with a NAS, media server, windows share or other device’ assumes the device used a library is already set up.

A 'showmount -e just times out.

Can anyone help with the NFS configuration on the Windows PC please?

Thanks

Are you doing

showmount -e windowsServerName

or just

showmount -e

Showmount -e from the 4K will show what the 4K is sharing, adding the server name shows what the server is sharing.

If you are getting the timeout when checking the windows server shares, then you need to look at that system. Also try the IP instead of name to rule out DNS issues.

I’m going to say in advance that this will only sort of help. I have my shares on a Windows 10 Home machine that doesn’t have NFS at all. So I paid for HaneWIN NFS and had NFS shares up and running in about 20 minutes. It’s 19.80 Euro for a personal license and, in my opinion, totally worth it.

Not sure what you mean by that: kodi library (unnecessary) or windows library (never touch them). What I’ve never looked into is sharing a windows volume via nfs, only accessing an nfs share from windows. So something to add if you can get it working.

I’m doing showmount -e and the IP of my Windows PC

However despite it not seeing any mounts I still watched a film last night (from a share that was not connecting earlier in the day).

Streaming from a Windows machine… I Understand that’s where your storage is, but it’s not meant to be used like that.
Anyway, this post on the Kodi forum explains how to get NFS server working well on Windows 10. Try that:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329452

But to establish what the actual root cause of your problem is: have you tried connecting a USB drive to your Vero? There should not be any buffering.

Another thumbs up for Hanewin, not free but not expensive either. I’ve been using it many years.