How to expand filesystem or resize the partition within osmc on Rpi2,3

I installed osmc on 4gb sd card. fully customized it, and clone it to 8gb.

Now i want to make system to use full memory. So i want to resize the partition within osmc os.

I know by inserting sd card to other os, i can do it with gparted, or fdisk resizefs, commands. so please dont give that answer.

I want to resize the partition within osmc os.

In raspbien jessie, “raspi-config>expand filesystem” works. And I want to do same thing in osmc.

Whenever we install fresh osmc image, it will resize the partition on start up, how can i trigger that process again?

I hope my question is clear.

Actually, it doesn’t - it creates a new partition to fill the card. There’s nothing built in to OSMC to do what you want AFAIK. You can’t expand a mounted partition so you would have to issue parted commands while running from the 4G card.

If you don’t want to do that and you do have the 4G card still, you can use [How to] Make periodic backups of whole OSMC system. Running from the smaller card, download osmc-restore from the git and go

sudo ./osmc-restore -f /

That Means , Resize features is not available till now. May be in future versions , they will put by listening our request.

Can we import that research in osmc that already available on openelec or jessie, by over selves?

You could open a feature request but I doubt many people need it. The routines for doing it are already in Raspbian in the install process so it’s easy for them to implement IIRC.

BTW in your other post you said you wanted to go to a 64GB (ie SDXC) card. I’m not sure those expand routines would cope with that. My script should do it.

IIRC OpenELEC removes the feature because of problems with it.

Use a tool like GParted and resize the partition in an unmounted state for now

Sam

And that only happens when we insert sd card to another os, cos we can not unmount running os.

Yes, because this is the right way of doing it. Extending a mounted filesystem is an open heart surgery without a backup plan

1 Like

And Raspbian jessie had make it possible, even if it seems open heart surgery without a backup plan.

This isn’t planned for OSMC. Why do you need the feature so importantly? Is there a reason why offline resizing isn’t feasible?

Whnever , I customize os, and want backup. I reduce its size (let us say 1GB, just make 100 MB free). and make its image. so Image occupy minimum size in my hardrive and whenever i want to clone one to many(say 100), it takes minimum time to clone. Now in window there are so many software available, which clone images. but to resize ext4 partition is difficult in window. Just resize the partition I have to again reprocess each card in other linuxPC for OSMC. In other hand, resize of partition itself done in raspbian jessie with raspi-config. so In production house I desperately need this option.

This may be seems small thing, but when you clone one to hundred, it becomes big effort.

Good luck. This is not on our roadmap.

2 Likes

Why are you cloning 100s of copies of OSMC at a time?

Assuming you’re not loading these cards with builds or pirate add-ons; you could use OSMC’s preseeding capabilities to load some defaults. You could also patch the filesystem tarball on the vfat so that the installer does the work on first run.

If you are reselling OSMC, then please re-brand as per the trademark guidelines. Any modifications you are making could lead to instability or confusion with users. We would prefer not to be associated with this.

People will need it, it will be in roadmap in future. Other Devlopers who need this feature may write here.

Thanks for positive answer, that I am looking for. I will try.

I am not reselling, but I have given 1 example, where this feature is usefull.

Let us not divert question. If you have any alternative solution you can write here.

Thank you all for your precious reply.

Use Clonezilla. To quote their web page:

Clonezilla saves and restores only used blocks in the hard disk.

1 Like

There are lots of great backup tools for Linux systems. Imaging is not really a great backup for multiple reasons. But, if imaging is desired, then something like fsarchiver is a good choice. It does the bit-for-bit stuff, but also lets the restore be onto smaller partitions than the original. Larger partitions work too.
Image backups are handy sometimes - like when replacing storage or if the person doing the restore isn’t very technical.

As for resizing a file system, that is completely dependent on the file system used. Some make growing easy. XFS and EXT4 can grow easily into available space within the partition.
However, because Linux is extremely flexible around storage solutions, file systems have to sit on top of other storage tools. Disk partitions are 1 tool, but LVM can be used which has tremendous flexibility with PEs, PVs, VGs, and LVs. Think of those as layers between the physical disks and the file system. File systems sit on LVs - logical volumes. LVs are made up of VGs, volume groups. VGs are made up of PVs/PEs, physical volumes which can be on 1 or 5,000 disks. Adding more PVs to a VG is pretty easy and can be done on a running system. LVs can be expanded if the VG has more room. The LV has zero clue about the physical disks involved.

Such is the magic of LVM.

Spanning LVs across PVs is dangerous, since a single disk failure can make the rest of the data unavailable. Backups are very important for any data that cannot be lost. People will spend 20+ hrs getting a system just right, but won’t spend $100 for a backup HDD?

LVM is NOT used by OSMC in a default config.
Resizing an active partition is a different thing. I’ve never seen that done, except for an OS that runs completely from RAM and disconnects from all storage. The amount of effort needed to do that would be non-trivial for a 0.0000001% need.

However, I’m certain that the project would love a pull request from anyone who makes it possible. Issues · osmc/osmc · GitHub

1 Like