How to fix auto mount

Poking around the OSMC interface I did something, not sure what, that broke the auto mounting of USB devices. That is, I remember doing something to automount, but I don’t recall what, and since then I have discovered that the automount is no longer working (the external USB drive that is plugged in is no longer accessible). And I can’t find anything in the interface for enabling/disabling auto mounting, not really sure what I would have done.

Trying to figure it out I did ssh in and poke around. The /media folder just has the README file. Getting status with udev gives errors that googling on was not fruitful for me.

$ sudo /etc/init.d/udev status
● systemd-udevd.service - udev Kernel Device Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-udevd.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2021-07-13 17:54:39 CDT; 4min 20s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-udevd.service(8)
           man:udev(7)
 Main PID: 13805 (systemd-udevd)
   Memory: 708.0K
   CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-udevd.service
           └─13805 /lib/systemd/systemd-udevd

Jul 13 17:54:39 osmc systemd[1]: Starting udev Kernel Device Manager...
Jul 13 17:54:39 osmc systemd[1]: Started udev Kernel Device Manager.
Jul 13 17:55:15 osmc systemd-udevd[13833]: event3: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0x70006, and key code 180: Invalid argument
Jul 13 17:55:15 osmc systemd-udevd[13833]: event3: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0x7000c, and key code 179: Invalid argument
Jul 13 17:55:15 osmc systemd-udevd[13833]: event3: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0x7002d, and key code 114: Invalid argument
Jul 13 17:55:15 osmc systemd-udevd[13833]: event3: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0x7002e, and key code 115: Invalid argument

Not really finding anything in /dev that could be the external drive to mount manually. E.g.,

~$ ls /dev/disk/by-id/
mmc-AJTD4R_0xa83aba7d

which I’m pretty sure is the internal boot volume.

although I would like auto mounting to work, just being able to mount the drive would suffice. But I’m not seeing anything that seems relevant in /dev to try and put in fstab

Upload full logs via grab-logs -A and provide the URL

thanks. My internet is dodgy so I ended up exporting to a file and posting it manually. But trying to save gives an error, “something went wrong”

when scanning for anything on the local drive the log just gives not found. There is a source for it (removed the network sources as they all work):

====================== sources.xml =================== SGkuGLGj
<sources>
    <programs>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
    </programs>
    <video>
        <source>
            <name>Auto-mounted drives</name>
            <path pathversion="1">/media/</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">/media/b3d8b1c3-33f1-497c-ae59-2ac4d679489c/Movies/</path>
        </source>
    </video>
    <music>
        <source>
            <name>Auto-mounted drives</name>
            <path pathversion="1">/media/</path>
        </source>
    </music>
    <pictures>
    </pictures>
    <files>
    </files>
    <games>
    </games>
</sources>

---------------------- sources.xml END --------------- SGkuGLGj

This doesn’t help, we need to see the system log to see what happens to the USB disk.

well, whenever I try to post the logs to the osmc paste bin i get a “something went wrong” error

fwiw, there is no reference in the logs to the usb disk other than as a source. The only USB device in the logs is the remote

How about with grab-logs -J -K?
Or if the internet is the issue grab-logs -P -J -K and then copy/paste here.

Which would indicate a cable, power or disk issue

still get an error posting the logs, but at this point I don’t think it matters as it started working.

before posting here I’d tried power cycling the drive, the vero, reconnecting it, etc.

to be sure it wasn’t the drive having failed today I attached it to another system & verified it was just fine. Reconnecting to the vero & it showed up. :man_shrugging:

at least its working & thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it!