How to increase the buffering cache on RPi2

Hi there,
I recently just upgraded from a RPi B+ to the new RPi2 as its meant to be ‘100%’ faster than the previous ones. However, when I tried streaming over the internet with it, it couldn’t buffer it properly as 1-2 minutes watching, the video stops. In the end I got frustrated with it and wondered if there was a problem with OSMC on the Raspberry Pi 2. I switched to my old Pi and it worked perfectly fine. The show didn’t stop once.

Now, I was wondering if it is a problem with the the size of the video cache and would like you guys to help me increase it.

Help would be very much appreciated! :smile:

Increasing the buffer size is not your solution - the default is 20MB which is more than enough. If data is coming in too slowly a larger buffer will not help you.

Unfortunately you have not really provided much in the way of useful info, including no debug logs.

You say it works on your Pi 1 but you don’t even say what OS your Pi 1 is running - eg is it running the same version of OSMC or is it running Raspbmc etc.

Do you have the same configurations on the devices in terms of addons ? Are they connecting via Ethernet or wifi ? If wifi do both devices have the same model of wifi adaptor and are they in the same physical location in the building ?

Without some more concrete information about your exact setups and configuration nobody would be able to help you.

Both the RPi2 and RPi B+ are running the same versions:
Operating system: Open Source Media Center 2015.07-1(kernel:Linux 4.1.3-2-osmc)
They are both configured in EXACTLY the same way in terms of addons and setting. I am connecting them via Ethernet and they are in the EXACT same place in the building.
The Kodi Log and Kernal Details for the RPi 2 are located at: http://paste.osmc.io/kerenijobi
The Kodi Log and Kernal Details for the RPi B+ are located at: http://paste.osmc.io/vedukakiji

If there is any other information you need please let me know

The logs are more useful if debug is enabled in system/debugging:

14:18:49   9.253919 T:1956773888  NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

Pi1 uses omxplayer by default and pi2 uses dvdplayer (omxplayer disabled) by default.
Does it make a difference if you enable omxplayer in video/acceleration settings?

2 Likes

I will enable omxplayer and see if it makes a difference later on and get back to you. I hope this works.

Also if you had mpeg2 and/or vc1 licenses on the old Pi and are playing files using those codecs, make sure your new Pi 2 has licenses as well. (The same license code will not work on the new Pi 2)

[quote=Pi1 uses omxplayer by default and pi2 uses dvdplayer (omxplayer disabled) by default.
Does it make a difference if you enable omxplayer in video/acceleration settings?
[/quote]

Apologies for reviving this thread. Was having the same issues as the OP and applied this suggestion and the difference is night and day. An absolute difference positively. Thank you popcornmix!