How to see and use an external hard drive on a pi3

I’m very new to the Raspberry Pi. I have purchased the Raspberry Pi3 and have installed OSMC onto it. I now wish to use my 4tb external hard drive to be able to watch the movies that I store on this hard drive.
Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Really? If you are that new I suggest you read the wiki and use the search function of the forum as all of this has been answered several times.

Generally it is just connect the disk and it will then be available at /media/<label of the partition> which you then can access e.g. in Video as “Root Filesystem”

If you harddisk is not shown then your problem is one of this two:

1. The harddisk is formated in a way that OSMC can not read it (quite unlikely)
  2. Your harddisk doesn’t get enough power. Unless it is having it’s own powersupply either use a powered USB hub or add max_usb_current=1 in /boot/config.txt and ensure you have a proper powersupply.
1 Like

RTFM :slight_smile: there is a wiki setup and if that wiki doest suite your need there is a even greater wiki on Kodi.tv

i suggest that you actually read next time around instead of blurring out random questions

Have a look at the Wiki and let us know if you have any more questions

Welcome to the forum

Thank you all for your help. I’m going to have to try a different os and read and play a lot to learn more about this product. I’ve picked up a library book on the raspberry pi easy steps and another. So all 8s good. Again thanks for all the help.

i’m looking for a new 4TB HDD,
can anyone help me to find the best one?

i found this article on google
http://www.deskdecode.com/top-best-4tb-hard-disk-drive-monthly-updated/
and they suggest me to buy Seagate Barracuda.
how about that?

Seagate are ok although I’ve had a few Seagate’s fail in a NAS at work, I’ve used Western Digital for over 10 years without problem.

If you stick with one of the large names I don’t know if there is a lot between them

Hello I used a nexstar with a 4tb Seagate but had to format the harddrive with my windows laptop and in the options available select auto detect. Then it’s simply plug and play with the raspberry pi product.