How to Tutorials for OSMC/Kodi

Hi All,

I started to play with Raspberry when I won a contest in my company and the prize was a Raspberry. Then the question was: what I can do with it? Well, I immediately thought a media center could be a good idea. I started to read everything about the argument but all websites about Kodi was full of “Best Plugins for this”, “Best plugins for that”. There are good websites out there but I needed info on real use cases and the scenarios I could run on my Raspberry.

First problem was: what components to buy? Which enclosure I can use? What scenario make more sense for an italian like me? For over an year I accumulate experience and a took notes on an unknown blog in private mode. Most of knowledge was acquired thanks to this forum.

Now it’s time to give back.

I wrote this articles to share with others my experience in the hope to learn even more on “Real use cases” and “How to do amazing things” with Kodi.

I didn’t write articles for lot of scenarios I have already implemented like: music, my personal dropbox, my photo management, my pvr, sharing media on a second screen with Chromecast and so on. But so far I wrote several articles that I want to share now with you. I’ll add others tutorials in the future.

How to build a Raspberry Media Center:

How to Configure Kodi Media Center

How to transform your Kodi Box in a Netflix-like platform

How to turn your Kodi Media Center in a Torrent machine

How to install Youtube on Kodi

How to transform your Raspberry Kodi Media Center in a Retro Game Platform

How to play Nintendo DS games on Kodi Media Center

How to transform your Raspberry Media Center in a NAS

Most of the information reported in these articles are available on the web but it’s not easy to find them. Most info is also available in this forum where I learned a lot of things.

I do not want to advertise my blog (it is even not well managed). I only hope to have feedback and improve what I have done so far because here there are a lot of people more expert than me.

As soon as possible I’ll report how I manage my photo, music, my personal dropbox and other stuff.

5 Likes

I updated first article with some news:

1. Plusberry project died on April 30th so it is no an option any more.
  2. I now added OSMC Pi Drive case as alternative.
  3. I have also suggested the OSMC Card especially for 4K scenario.

Hi All,
Added a new tutorial on how to transform your KODI media center in a “NAS”

1 Like

The step of configuring smb.conf is unneeded (all automounted disks will be autoshared) and also written in a form that would only apply to your setup.

Hi Fzinken,
Thanks for your reply. I’ll check your suggestion and I’ll remove the step.
I configured this setup a few months ago and I kept notes on how I did it. I remember that step was required, but probably today this is not true anymore. However, thank you for feedback I really appreciate it.

Obviously, all articles follow a logic. It’s true that I specified folders in my setup but /media/KODI with the folders organized in a given way, is just an example. You can use whatever folder (and I specified this in my first articles). The logic is applicable to all kind of setup once you decided the mount point of your HD (in my case /media/KODI, the default one). I hope I didn’t misunderstand your comment.

I doubt that, the OSMC App Store version as long as I remember (and normally my memory still works a bit longer than a few months) would auto share the auto mounted disks.

KODI is not a folder that you created but the label you gave the partition and OSMC mount it automatically under that name

OK thank you for feedback, probably that entry in smb.conf is useless. I’ll remove it.
But I do not understand why you say the article is more related to my setup. I used OSMC default folders (i.e. /media/KODI) and even if I used a different one it was just an example that does not make the article less generic.

This is the part that I now have tried to explain. There is no such “default” folder as “KODI” you gave your partition that label when you formatted it

Ah, I didn’t realize this.
Reading this article again: http://sasadangelo.altervista.org/how-to-configure-kodi-media-center/
I realized KODI was the label I used when I formatted the HD.
I specified in that article that from that moment I’ll assume that HD is mounted under /media/KODI.
I know that from a technical doc point of view it is better to write /media/<label_volume> but going on with articles it’s hard to remember what <label_volume> was so I simplified using a name I invented. I do not think this makes things less general.

1 Like

I updated the link of my tutorials

1 Like