How to upgrade Kodi to latest version on Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Hello All,
Since 2 weeks ago or so, I have been having issues with a video addon (Crunchyroll) and I want to upgrade Kodi to a different version than Leia (from another forum, this seems to be the best recommendation as newer Kodi versions do not have the issue that I am reporting).
I have searched and have no clue how to do this. When I update it manually form OSMC, it never changes to a later Kodi version.

Here is my info and the link to the log:
Raspberry Pi 3 B+
OSMC November 2020 2020.11-1
Kodi 18.9
https://paste.osmc.tv/ubetifequv

Thanks!

You must have missed updates in the past as you are stuck on a 4 year old setup. Your only solution is to make a backup (via MyOSMC). Do a fresh install with the latest version and restore your backup.
I recommend to also doing that on a new SD card because you then have a fall back option and also know your SD card will not be worn out.

1 Like

Thanks for responding fzinken! I have been using the RBP weekly for the last 4 years. It is set up to update monthly, I have also tried to do manual updates. Is there a way to see if the updates are failing? When I run the updates manually, I don’t see any error messages. I have shared the logs on my previous post.
Let me know if this changes your recommendation. And just to be sure, your recommendation is to install the latest OSMC version from scratch?
Thanks!

After this period you must reinstall OSMC. We try and support an update path for about 24 months. Beyond that, things can become somewhat unpredictable.

There are ways to force an update but I really don’t recommend this, particularly without a complete backup

1 Like

Why they failed in the past is hard to see. Now they will fail because of the long time no updates.

Your last update was 2021

Start-Date: 2021-01-04  21:17:09
Commandline: /usr/bin/apt-get-real -o APT::Status-Fd=4 -o APT::Keep-Fds::=5 -o APT::Keep-Fds::=6 -f -y dist-upgrade
1 Like

Thanks guys for your quick answers. This is the first time I am posting in the forum and I am happy with your level of service!
Ok then, when I perform the backup, what exactly is being backed up? I just wonder if this is necessary since all I have is Crunchyroll. ATM I don’t use or have installed anything else.
Is there a guide that you would recommend to follow for the fresh install? And which OSMC version should I look for considering that this is a RBP 3 B+?

Thanks again for your help and patience. The original install was done like 5 year ago by a friend of mine, so now I am learning!

1 Like

All your settings that you have done in MyOSMC/Kodi if you are happy to do them again it surely is better to start fresh. As mentioned my recommendation is install on a new SD card then you always have a fall back.

Just get the installer from here install it on the PC on which you prepare the SD Card

In the Installer choose Raspberry Pi 2 / 3 / Zero 2 W