How to upgrade OSMC from the command line

I usually manage an OSMC instance running in my parents house via SSH and iOS Kodi remote control (via a VPN).

The only issue to solve so far is how to upgrade a remote OSMC instance via SSH. I do “apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade” but the process hangs around 87%. My parents report a TV black image and OSMC not visible neither responding to the remote.

Their only choice then is to power cycle the Raspberry PI. After that, everything works and the upgrade seems to have finished correctly.

We had go thru this frequently, same process, same hang, same power cycle. I am scared of breaking my parent’s OSMC eventually and I wonder what would be the right process to follow.

PS: Using the “my OSMC” addon is what I do with my OSMC install, but my parents are old and I rather prefer to spare them the details. Moreover, they live 600km away.

Thanks!!.

That is the correct process, and I do it all the time with no problems. Post some logs when it happens and maybe someone can see why it’s hanging.

EDIT: have you tried using the MyOSMC method on your parents system to see if it works?

What log file would be useful?.

Yes, “My OSMC” works there. I upgrade my parents instance in summer holidays using the graphic addon.

Just for fun, next time you update your system try the command line method and see if it works.

As to logs…

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

This means ConnMan is updating. If you don’t press Enter, then the console will come back when the upgrade is complete. If you hit the keyboard, then PuTTY (or your SSH client) will terminate the connection as there won’t be a timely response.

We will provide more feedback during the upgrade process about this in future.

Kodi is not expected to restart if you do a dist-upgrade. If you want it to, then you must upgrade via My OSMC. This is intentional – as it’s not possible to tell whether Kodi was running beforehand, and it wouldn’t be appropriate to start it when it was disabled before or in a stopped state.

Sam

I do “apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade” but the process hangs around 87%.

_Would it be better to do an

apt-get update&&apt-get dist-upgrade&&reboot

If you don’t press any keys during the update, it will not hang.

At the time of writing:

sudo systemctl start manual-update

is the best way to update and restart Kodi afterwards