How to Watch and Record Live TV on a Raspberry Pi

Hello all,

I’ve written a new article explaining how to record and watch TV on a Raspberry Pi. It is oriented for the UK but should work for other countries.

http://unixetc.co.uk/2019/11/22/how-to-watch-and-record-live-tv-with-a-raspberry-pi/

The set up, using OSMC/TVHeadend, is described in detail from scratch. I hope it does not duplicate existing resources too much.

The latest versions of OSMC/Kodi/TVH are used (at the time of writing). Also covers Flirc remote control setup, modifying OSMC font sizes, tuner setup, TVH optimization, power supply selection, recommended hardware, ongoing power consumption (6W!) and adding storage.

I hope somebody finds it useful, because it certainly took a lot of testing. I was looking for something to replace my ageing Topfield/MyStuff DVR. And, so far, the Pi/TVH/OSMC does make a good replacement.

Jim.

I think I would have prefered if you posted this as a how to on our board instead of a link to another web site.

The website referenced is my own blog. You don’t want contributions in this way?

I think it is great that you are sharing your knowledge of how you got this working. I think that if you had posted the entire contents of that article here and just tacked on a link back to promote your blog then it would have provided more value to this particular forum, get better search hits, and inspire more questions and feedback from our user base.

Nice work! One question: what have you got against our skin?

Hi grahamh, I happen to find the classic skin more readable, and more like the system I am coming from - Topfield/Mystuff. The article has to stick with one skin, so I used that one. I expect after following the procedure, individual readers will explore, find and use their favourite skin.

Hi Darwindesign. as I said, it is my blog. There are almost 100 articles on there, written over 9 years. I’ve been a unix systems administrator for 27 years, and this is how I share my knowledge online.

I wasn’t trying to imply anything about your blog with my previous statements. I was also not trying to imply that it should be posted here exclusively. I am saying that a link to a how-to, is not a how-to.

If you’d like to do a HowTo then I’d suggest posting the article here directly. We’ve been wary of external links in the past.

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam. I have never known a forum that eschewed external links :thinking:. The referenced procedure is over 6400 words long, with copious formatting, and would produce a very large post here. It is also my intellectual property. So, I won’t be pasting it in here, I’m afraid.

If the admins can’t accept that, and they have to delete this topic, so be it. Shame though. I am driving more users towards OSMC after all.

Jim.

Hi Jim,

External links on this forum are fine. They’re frequently used by users to refer users to guides, Amazon links or other forums.

For the post to qualify for the HowTo section however, the entire content must be in a forum post. Any external references (sometimes binaries) cannot be hosted on external servers unless necessary.

As you are a sysadmin, I’m sure you can understand why we have to dissuade users from running wget https://somesite -O- | sudo bash. Your article isn’t suggesting that – but what we don’t want is for a user to click on a link and for the instructions to have changed to something malicious or more realistically, simply outdated.

You may keep the post here. Your guide is very thorough, but it cannot move to the HowTo section as it stands.

I recognise that, and I would suggest you keep it in your hands then, i.e. on your blog if you value it as such. We are not trying to claim your work as our own.

Best

Sam

Yes, it’s a user guide, as per your first para. Happy for moderators to put it to more relevant section.