[HowTo] Guide to the Kodi whitelist function and related settings

My point was that Kodi has its own resolution list that it derives from EDID. You can see it in Kodi’s log as a bunch of “Found resolution” messages. At least that is how I understand it to work.

Will adding a whitelist affect HDR?

It shouldn’t.

Depends on the skin color set you’re using though or whether you’ve adjusted the selected color manually :wink:

HDR metadata and signalling will be sent independently of the whitelist settings.

I restarted the Vero and the receiver with only the projector on. Kodi came with the exact same whitelist, so possibly the 2 displays support the exact same modes or Kodi does not refresh its list on the newly sent EDID information. Anyway, it all just works now

Are you seeing any 4096x2160p modes in the whitelist?

Yes, 2160p 23,98Hz and 2160p 24,00Hz. What is the reason you ask this?

I had a theory, but that means my theory was wrong. :slightly_smiling_face: Not to worry.

thx for the gr8 guide and explanation!

sadly I cannot disable overscan at my bloody old Pioneer KRP500A at 720p. I need to use the Video calibration for every available refreshrate in Kodi at 720p to get it working properly :smiley:

If you have to resort to correcting overscan at the Vero/Pi end then the benefit of whitelisting 720p in the first place may be lost: the principal advantage of whitelisting modes is to get the TV to do all of the scaling, but correcting overscan requires scaling by Kodi.

You may find that not whitelisting 720p and having Kodi upscale to 1080p looks much the same. If doing what you’re doing looks better, by all means keep doing it, but it might not!

1 Like

It looks like you’ve to specifiy the HDMI input type to “PC” instead of “Video” … according to the KRP500A manual this influence the overscan behaviour, see Connecting Hdmi Equipment - Pioneer KRP-500A Operating Instructions Manual [Page 49] | ManualsLib

1 Like

Thx for your support.
IIRC the setting ‘PC’ will alter other things as well (color, optimizer).

It’s not the first time I thought about replacing the TV…

I’ve stumbled on a quirk. I do a lot of switching between displays for testing. If I set up a white list on a 4k TV then switch to a 1080p TV then only the resolutions up to 1080p60 are shown as whitelist candidates. Higher resolutions are still there (in guisettings.xml) so if I go back to the 4k TV the whitelist is complete again. That’s what I want, of course. But there’s two gotchas:

• make any changes to the whitelist while plugged into the 1080p TV and Kodi competely re-writes guisettings without the 4k or smtp modes. But worse,
  • when kodi is looking for a match in the whitelist, it searches the all the strings in guisettings, including the 4k ones. Instead of rejecting, say, 2160p25 it looks for a supported mode that’s the closest match and ends up at 1080p25 even though 1080p25 is not whitelisted

Just thought I’d mention that in case anyone else has seen it. It makes watching UK HDTV a bit painful as kodi keeps switching from 25 to 50Hz. Niche, perhaps, but a bug that needs fixing.

@grahamh, judging by the conversation at this pull request, I suspect the Kodi guys wouldn’t regard that as a bug - they seem to think that matching the desktop resolution at an arbitrary refresh rate should be acceptable behaviour, even if the mode in question isn’t whitelisted.

EDIT; Or did you mean it should be fixed as part of the OSMC distribution rather than in base Kodi?

I’ll fix it in OSMC but try to push it upstream.

2 Likes

Is there a problem running the Vero 4k+ with only the 2160p settings white listed, so the Vero 4k+ does all the up scaling? This is with the GUI set to 1080/60.

Thanks

Simply that the Vero is not particularly good at upscaling, and your TV will probably do a better job of it and give you a nicer-looking picture.

But if you find it actually looks better having the Vero do the upscaling, then no, it’s not a problem.

1 Like

I’m not bothering to keep a change log for minor edits to the initial post, but there’s a bigger one today: I’m suggesting Pi owners be wary of whitelisting 1080p/25. This is because of the issues raised in this thread.

Hi,

This might be a stupid question but how do I see which resolutions my TV supports?

They are all listed in settings-display.