[HowTo] Guide to the Kodi whitelist function and related settings

Ok, so I should enable all resolutions that are presented in that list?

You need to whitelist all resolutions that you want to use that appear when you click whitelist. You won’t see interlaced resolutions. You may want to not select some if they create problems, as explained in the OP.

Thank you!

That is one of the questions covered at great length in the first post in this thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

I encourage you to read the whole thing if you can, but if you can’t face that, at least read section 18 which has recommended settings for a typical user.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Pixel Shifting, SD resolution, standalone video processor for upscaling

Hello, everyone. I’ve edited post #1 in this thread to try and make it more relevant to Kodi v19, now that this has gone live for non-test users.

I’ve tried to keep the guide “bilingual” and discuss both Leia and Matrix behaviours - this makes it a bit clunky, but I suspect there will still be a number of Leia users for a while (e.g. Pi owners who don’t want to upgrade).

Does anyone have any comments or change requests?

Input from Pi owners, and especially Pi 4 owners, would be welcome. But everyone else feel free to pile on too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Paging @grahamh , @Chillbo and @darwindesign because they’ve previously expressed some interest in the subject…

4 Likes

Great “How To” @angry.sardine !
I’m pretty confident that I now know what settings are best for my use case but I do have one question.
Can the Vero output DVD remuxes 480p24 at 1080p120?
I’m curious to see the results.
My TV, an LG C8, handles 1080p120 great and 120 refresh rate means no judder from 24 fps content.
One of the reasons I ask is because some DVD remuxes have variable refresh rates.
Where the content is film based at 24 fps but the title sequence is 30 fps.
If output to 120 fps there should be no judder in either part, if output at 24 fps then the title sequence looks choppy losing frames, if output at 30 fps then you get the obvious 24 → 30 judder.

I haven’t a clue. :smiley: My TV doesn’t support that mode, so my Vero wouldn’t offer it as an option. If your TV supports it, then see if your Vero will allow you to whitelist it, and let us know!

(I wouldn’t be too optimistic, though - the Vero’s SoC dates back to a time when 1080p/120 wasn’t yet a thing. If you find you can get 1080p/120 output, then it may be worth comparing the results with hardware decoding turned on and off.)

I should also say that even if the Vero can do this, you may not want it to. One of the main reasons for using a whitelist is to get the Kodi device to output a video at native resolution and allow the display to do the upscaling. The Vero’s upscaling quality is really quite poor and the fact that there’s a second upscaling step involved (the TV converting from 1080p/120 up to 2160p) won’t help either. Getting the TV to upscale from 480p will definitely give you better results from a scaling perspective. You may find the iffy upscaling harms the viewing experience more than occasional frame-rate issues: I tend to watch 480p stuff at 480p/60 rather than 1080p/24 because questionable upscaling annoys me more than 3:2 judder.

Judder is my worst enemy and an OLED with it’s practically instant pixels makes it even more obvious.
So I was able to whitelist 1080p120 and it was sooooo much better in terms of smoothness.
So yeah, the Vero is taking the 480p24/30 and upping it to 1080p120 to the TV, then the TV is scaling it from 1080p to 2160p.
I have MPEG2 hardware acceleration turned off, but I’ll try both out in some difficult scenes I know that are on the DVD.

If I have “Allow 3:2 pulldown refresh rates” and “Allow double refresh rates” enabled while I’m outputting to 1080p120, what do you think the Vero is doing?
I’m guessing the 24 fps sections are held for 5 frames and the 30 fps title sequence is held for 4 frames, but neither are “Allow double refresh rates” unless by “double” they mean “multiple” and like you mentioned before 2.5x is allowed.
Then if 2.5x is allowed then 5x is just double 2.5, as 4 is double 2.

Oh, and using “Use HDMI AVI signalling” makes my 4:3 DVD remux stretch horizontally.

I think you’re probably reading a little too much into those checkboxes. If you play the file without 1080p/120Hz whitelisted, I don’t imagine that the output refresh rate changes spontaneously between 1080p/30 and 1080p/24 at the end of the titles (with the screen going black for a few seconds at the mode change)? Instead, as far as output mode is concerned, the file as a whole is probably considered to be 60fps, and so the output refresh rate will always be either 60Hz or 120Hz unless it’s forced to be something else. The “double” checkbox might allow a “60fps” video to be output at 120Hz by default (if all 60Hz modes are de-whitelisted), but that’s all it does - it allows a refresh rate with double the frequency of the video’s official frame-rate. Similarly, setting the “3:2” checkbox allows (for example) a 720p/24fps video to be output as 720p/60Hz by default; clearing it would make the same video default to 1080p/24Hz output instead. Neither checkbox is going to have any effect on cadence detection, they’re only about what HDMI modes can be selected for output.

(To be clear, Kodi may conceivably be doing what you want, but it’s doubtful that either of those checkboxes is having any influence on that!)

If you are not going to use 480p and 576p output modes, then you may as well set that setting to Normal. If you are going to use those modes then check that your TV’s aspect ratio is set to Original and not 16:9 or anything else. (That’s what it’s called on my LG G6 anyway - it might have a different name on yours).

EDIT: Also, some AVRs have been known to screw up aspect ratio this way; so if you aren’t connecting directly to the television, you might try a direct connection and see if that helps.