after having some trouble with @Toast’s old HowTo concerning moonlight on OSMC (which completely messed with my OSMC installation; seems to be updated now to work more reliably - nevertheless thanks for all the work and support you put in there, mate!) and ending up starting moonlight-embedded from command line once again, I’ve decided to dig a bit into Kodi addon development and build my own launcher/configurator for moonlight.
The result is named Luna (yeah, I know … not the most creative name ever) and aims to take a more general approach than e.g. @dodslaser’s moonlight-osmc script, which seems to rely on some OSMC specific stuff. Going down that road it will (theoretically) be possible to use Luna to launch moonlight on other platforms as well (which don’t run OSMC, but a standard Kodi installation and/or moonlight-pc) by just adding new launch scripts and trying to detect the environment on first start. To give credit where credit is due, the current OSMC launch script is based on dodslaser’s work (killing Kodi on OSMC can really be a pain in the a** ), though I’m still looking for a way to use a somewhat more integrated approach to have only one script per platform.
Enough of the preface though, let’s get to the actual point …
Luna’s current features:
- Host Pairing from inside the Addon
- Controller Mapping (again from inside the Addon)
- Dynamic Game Library (uses moonlight’s list command to get games available on the host)
- Launching of specific titles
- Support for nearly all of moonlight-embedded’s options
Nearly all of the above could use some more testing - as of now, I’m the only one who ever used it and I solely fixed stuff which I’ve found while configuring or launching game(s)
Of course, there are some, including but not limited to:
- Games containing spaces have not been tested at all, this might not even work right now
- Controller mapping sometimes doesn’t register controller inputs. I’m currently not sure if this is related to Luna, moonlight or my configuration, since it doesn’t work using moonlight’s CLI either. After restarting xboxdrv manually mapping works as expected again. Haven’t experienced this issue when just launching Steam
- Immediate installation after uninstalling fails for some reason; restarting Kodi resolves this
- Luna currently has no own icon, no fanart, no icons for menus / games, …
- license.txt is missing from repo (will be GPL)
- Some texts are missing in the currently released version (already fixed in master)
Requirements & Installation:
- moonlight-embedded needs to be properly installed and configured (either follow moonlight-embedded’s instructions or Toast’s tutorial linked above)
- Install this addon from zip
- Add a configuration wizard for the first start
- Some more translations
Luna can be found HERE.
Hope I’ve picked to right forum category to introduce this addon and let me know what you guys think!
If you should have any issues and/or feature requests feel free to post them here or on the issue tracker. When using Luna please keep in mind that it is currently veeeery alpha, so expect some quirks here and there (even though I did my best to iron out the worst).