[HowTo] Moonlight-Embedded (former Limelight) using Luna Launcher

Thats what I did. I followed the instructions and used the GiHub instructions. The install works fine, but the results are not what I expected.

If I follow the manual procedures as described by you, I have to perform many more steps that are not mentioned in your guide just to compile moonlight, because several dozen dependencies are missing.

Following the GitHub procedures does what it is supposed to do and installs the precompiled moonlight, just with the problem that the Stream is launched on the Host PC and not on the Raspberry where it schould be. This result is explained in no tutorial.

Hi, is just me or the triggers in XBOX 360 controller don’t work with this configuration under Steam in Big Picture? the rest of the buttons are working fine, but not the triggers, any clue? Thanks

Nevermind, removing the flag --trigger-as-button solved the problem. Thanks.

Greetings

As i am a linux noob, I am a little confused here. How do i start installing moonlight with the “do it yourself version”? What is my first ssh command?

sudo apt-get install libexpat1-dev rbp-userland-dev-osmc libopus0 libexpat1 libasound2 libudev0 libavahi-client3 libcurl3 libevdev2 libssl-dev libopus-dev libasound2-dev libudev-dev libavahi-client-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libevdev-dev cmake build-essential ??

(I am confused about this : The “do it yourself version”

nessary packages for compiling thats too old in the current repository
the solution is to get the packages from strech). How do i use these?

Maybe not climb a mountain before you can climb a hill :slight_smile: begin to familiarize yourself with linux and learn the basics before trying this on your installation.

I know the basics with some commands and some technics, but i am confused about this:

The “do it yourself version”

nessary packages for compiling thats too old in the current repository
the solution is to get the packages from strech.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/armhf/cmake/download
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/armhf/libjsoncpp0/download
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/all/cmake-data/download

What are these files for and how do i use them? These are *.deb files (except for the 2nd line where the package is missing)…

You need those packages to be a certain version at the point that i wrote this howto those packages was outdated perhaps now its not even necessary to download those from the debian stretch repo.

hell one easy way to find out download the source and try :smile:)

ps dont add the stretch repo just grab those deb packages from the website

as for the second package search for it not sure why it was removed

wget Debian -- Package Download Selection -- cmake_3.7.2-1_armhf.deb

That is the command?

again, im not sure if your really ready if you get stuck on something as simple as this, rather you learn linux basics before trying this on.

This how to was intended for experienced users.

It may be simple for you but as i am a linux noob, this is the only step i am stuck into (i have read your how to from scratch and - i assume - i will have a problem in the other steps :stuck_out_tongue: ).

So can someone post the full ssh commands before the:

sudo apt-get install libexpat1-dev rbp-userland-dev-osmc libopus0 libexpat1 libasound2 libudev0 libavahi-client3 libcurl3 libevdev2 libssl-dev libopus-dev libasound2-dev libudev-dev libavahi-client-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libevdev-dev cmake build-essential command??

Thanks

https://github.com/dodslaser/moonlight-osmc probly safer for you

i removed the old how to and updated it to use dodlasers instructions

Thanks, i was about to use dodslaser method (as easier 4 me).

Just a question though:

It says

Add the public key for the repo

apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv 4A1C897B

is this a commnad? Or should i do smth else?

use sudo before that command

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv 4A1C897B

Even though it lacks gamepad support,i will try it. Thanks!

use the config for gamepad support, you seriously need to read wtf your installing before installing it.

SLOW DOWN, READ

these are 2 things i really recommend you to do in the future

moonlight-osmc-config is the command your looking for and please use sudo, it was all there in the readme on the page…

Thanks Toast

I will try to install osmc asap.

I have a “general” question though about moonlight performance. I have managed to install moonlight-embedded 2.1.1 on a clean raspbian image (rasp1 model b, oc to high). Though it works i see that the performance on my pi (i also used a rasp2 with almost same results) and in specific games (like GRID 2, NBA 2K14 etc) is not so good. What i mean is that while i have a perfect performance (fps) on my host pc, the fps is a little choppy on my rasp1/2. Is it a matter of host pc? Networking? A bug in moonlight version?

Any help appreciated

My host pc machine: Intel core 2 quad Q6600, GTX 750 ti 2GB OC, 4 GB DDR-2 Ram, wired ethernet, win 7 Ultimate 64bit (all games in 720 p, low to medium settings)

my general recommendation dont overclock instead move mem around overclocking only leads to corruption and issues and then you be back complaining about OSMC acting weird seen that a lot lately make sure that the rpi is wired and try not to go full hd work your way up with resolutions instead of just going about like its the best hardware ever…

start small then go big all about scaling

1. My rpi is wired
  2. I also tried NBA 2k14 with 640x480 resolution. Same “problem”
  3. Other games (brutal doom, mk complete edition) play very well though.

So moonlight is game dependent?

doubt it try lowering the graphics on the computer see if it reacts the same that would be my first go to.

its all about identifying the problem see where the issue is

I did lower the graphics in 640*480 resolution. Same “glitch”. Well , it is not exactly a glitch but i feel that i am playing in 20 fps (rasp) rather than 30 fps (pc host). I see that especially in ^moving scenes^ (e.g in nba2k14 when the player has the ball and the screen is rolling)