Howto Netflix/Android

Hi

I can build a new version of Android with WiFi improvements and will do this shortly.

Re. su. I have checked my notes, and tried to replace the su and reboot binaries with ‘rooted’ ones some time ago:

cp …/…/su out/target/product/vero2/system/xbin/
cp …/…/reboot out/target/product/vero2/system/xbin/

Unfortunately this didn’t fix the situation.

According to [HOWTO] adb / sideloading / superuser access | XDA Forums, this should be the correct approach.

I’m guessing the issue is not including:

com.koushikdutta.superuser.apk
com.stericson.busybox.apk

I’ll build an Android build with these changes again, but excluding the APK and let you know when they’re ready for testing.

Maybe by installing those APKs things will then work as expected.

Sam

The current su doesn’t have the suid bit set and the /system is mounted with nosuid. I remember you said that you didn’t need the suid bit, because you’ve made some changes in the sources.

And I see two thinks related to su:

1. to get root access by running su from a terminal emulator
  2. to make apps think the device is rooted

Without (1) I can’t remount /system to install system apps, unless adb+sudo works.

Correct, but clearly this isn’t working as expected. I will recompile with suid bit set and remove nosuid from the mount.

Sam

Try:

WiFi seems OK.
Su doesn’t work. The nosuid flag is still present.

Managed to get the Opengapps image onto the osmc drive OK, using Bitvise (alongside PUTTY) on my PC.
Managed to (using a MAC Terminal) to get as far as "find -name… ". Nothing found, as far as I can tell. (NB Because of different usernames, I couldn’t perform the above part (i.e. getting the Opengapps image copied across, so had to use my PC).

The rest (from ‘find naked -type f’ onwards gets me the response:

bash: type: f: not found
bash: type: -name: not found
bash: type: *.apk: not found

Since I’m not sure exactly what I’m doing (simply following the guidelines), no idea what this means or what I can do about it!

Graham

The unpack/copy instructions work on Vero2.
On Windows, use pscp to copy the zip and the md5 files from opengapps to Vero2, and continue from Vero2.
On Mac use:
scp Downloads/open_gapps* osmc@VERO2-IP:
Instead of using the IP of your Vero2, you could use osmc.local (or something like this, depending on how you named your device; see Kodi/Services/General)

You can copy the gapps from any system as long as you:

• mount the second partition of the Android SD card (the one having etc directory present; this partition is auto-mounted by OSMC on /media/adb… with the august Android image) - it’s an ext4 partition
  • unpack all the .tar.lz files from that zip to a new directory
  • move all these unpacked files (ignoring the duplicates) to the destination/mounted partition using the following patterns:
  • move apk files from priv-app dirs to priv-app dir of the mounted Android SD card partition
  • move all the other apk files to app dir
  • move so files to lib dir
  • move jar files to framework dir
  • move xml files (some with dirs) to etc dir
  • make sure all the files/dirs from these 5 destination dirs are owned by the root user

The find naked -type f -name instructions automate most of the move job, with the exception of xml files, which must be moved one by one (files or dirs).

Sorry - I realise that my post didn’t properly reflect reality.

Gapps HAS been copied onto the Vero2 successfully.

The problem came when I tried to run the command 'find naked… ’ on the Vero2 and got the error bash responses as outlined in my post when using my Mac Terminal (similar to the command prompt on Linux or using Putty on Windows).

I couldn’t see a directory/ folder media/adb - I hadn’t appreciated that I needed to run ‘sudo su’ to allow root privileges first in order that the directory can be seen.

However, I have now managed to run everything but I still don’t seem to have access to the Google Play store - clicking on the Google Play icon still doesn’t work - all I get is a red box around the screen flashing on & then it just returns to the same screen.

You have to launch Google Play from the screen were you have all the other installed apps (you have a button in the bottom-middle area of your Home screen). I didn’t use the Google Play shortcut found on Home screen after the first boot.

You can make your own shortcuts on your Homescreen: use a mouse, press and keep the left mouse on one of the apps from the Apps screen, after 2 seconds you can position it on your Homescreen, and release the mouse button.

I don’t recall ever seeing a Google Play icon on the home screen.

The one I’ve been trying to use is accessed from the centrally placed icon (looks a bit like a circular telephone keypad). Apart from Gapps, all the apps/ icons are the ones in the standard download from the OSMC downloads page.

The only icons I have on the ‘home’ screen are the three default ones.

Is there a different raspberry pi os that can run these?

The Vero 2 and Raspberry Pi aren’t related directly; OSMC is the common OS