[HowTo] OSMC Skin, Hiding the Pause OSD (On-Screen-Display) After Amount of X Seconds

Looks like it.

Sorry for misleading anyone.

Seems i switched my theme to Estuary 18 months ago, as soon as I bought the Vero, and forgot.

I canā€™t get on with the default (is it Confluence? Itā€™s just named OSMC skin)

Please help!

Switched to OSMC skin.
Selected a different background.
Used Backup/restore menu to reset skin.
Changed back to Estuary.

Skin now broken. Error message was displayed, but I didnā€™t catch it. Something has been logged apparently.

No background image.

No idea what else is broken.

Sh*t

Anybody have a way to restore Estuary (and a clue as to how switching to OSMC broke it)?

Error message:

Skin Shortcuts

Unable to build menu
Install kodi log updater add-on

how did I forget doing this (before switching back to Estuary):

ā€¦i tried to configure the OSMC skin to change which mrnu items where being displayed. It forced me to install:

Skin shortcuts 1.0.17
Skin helper service 1.1.3
Skin helper service backgrounds 1.0.21

Wish i hadnā€™t fiddled with anything whilst taking OraMorphā€¦

Any ideas @sam_nazarko (sorry to impinge on your time sir)

EDIT:
In case anybody can help, Iā€™ve uploaded logs to:

Https://paste.osmc.tv/votibexoja

EDIT 2: I may have fixed it by switching off the Skin Shortcuts add-on option to ā€˜share settings with compatible skinsā€™ (or something similar)

Rebooting appears to have restored Estuary, but Iā€™ll need to dig around

EDIT 3:

Now Iā€™m trying to nuke the add-ons I mindlessly installed (see above), but can only find Skin Helper Service listed in Add-ons /My Add-ons / All

Installing ā€˜Skin shortcutsā€™ forced installation of ā€˜Skin helper serviceā€™ and ā€˜Skin helper service backgroundsā€™. No idea why the first dependency is the only add-on I can find.

That should indeed do the trick :+1:t2: Why not stick with our OSMC skin?

1 Like

Thanks for confirming that Chillbo.

I canā€™t get along with OSMC skin. I prefer a more technical, less flashy, skin!

Iā€™m confusedā€¦ Thatā€™s exactly what our skin should be: minimalistic. Not flashy at all.

2 Likes

Ah well. I just canā€™t get along with it.

Iā€™m old school, having been a software developer for over two decades (desktop, mobile, and web applications). Minimalist design isnā€™t my cup of tea!

Hi folks,

Have more or less similar question - is there a easy way to autolhide vido osd in osmc skin after some period of time? This feature exists in some other skins like Titan I used before or Estouchy I use on my tablet but really missing for me in OSMC skin. Looked in sources of mentioned Titan and Estouchy but havenā€™t found anything on that.

It exists in the OSMC skin. Go to settings>interface>skin>configure skin>OSD>Display time of video player OSD during pause and change from the default ā€œalwaysā€ to whatever your preference is (assuming your preference lies between 5 and 300 seconds).

Not really what I want, not during the pause but during the playback when I press OK button on the remote to see the current time or how much time remaining till the end of movie, in this case I need to press back button to hide OSD.

Well, manager to find a nice way to auto close Video OSD during playback using SkinHelper. What is needed is just to add new skin setting into SkinnSettings.xml (I added it into Video OSD section):

<!-- Autoclose Video OSD -->
<control type="button" id="421">
	<width>1220</width>
	<height>66</height>
	<textwidth>1120</textwidth>
	<font>Font33</font>
	<label>$LOCALIZE[31103]</label>
	<label2>$INFO[Skin.String(SkinHelper.AutoCloseVideoOSD)]</label2>
	<onclick condition="!String.IsEmpty(SkinHelper.AutoCloseVideoOSD)">Skin.Reset(SkinHelper.AutoCloseVideoOSD)</onclick>
	<onclick condition="String.IsEmpty(SkinHelper.AutoCloseVideoOSD)">Skin.SetNumeric(SkinHelper.AutoCloseVideoOSD)</onclick>
</control>

(also added new string resource into strings.po)

#: /16x9/SkinSettings.xml
msgctxt "#31103"
msgid "Auto close video player OSD (0 to disable)"
msgstr ""

After that new skin setting will appear where you can choose the time to show Video OSD during playback.

This would definitely interfere with the setting we already have in place which is not depending on a script. Weā€™d always like to keep the skin as simple as possible - so, avoid usage of scripts where ever possible.

Iā€™ll look into this once Iā€™m back from a holiday.

Actually not, they do different stuff. It even makes your setting working better :slightly_smiling_face: - without this setting, the OSD does not be hidden if you press pause button in OSD, but with this setting it does.

What do you mean by this? The setting we already have is specifically made for pauseā€¦

If video paused by pressing ā€œPauseā€ button on remote control - then yes, your setting (to be more precise, the logic behind this setting in DialogSeekBar.xml) works fine. But if you firstly press OK button to invoke Video OSD and then select Pause button on Video OSD by pressing OK button on remote - in such case it doesnā€™t work because in this case DialogSeekBar.xml is not being invoked.

That could be solved easily without the need of using a script. But it would need an extra option as not everyone wants the OSD to disappear when having specifically opened it with a button press before. Letting the OSD disappear during pause has some logic to it as the user only pauses the video, but doesnā€™t specifically open the OSD to press additional buttons or access the on screen controls. The OK button is opening the full OSD whereas pressing pause only opens the status bar.

That is actually what I did with new setting. If you know how to solve this more easily without the script your advise will be very much appreciated. I tried many combinations of System.IdleTime in VideoOSD.xml but it doesnā€™t work in right way - video osd is just being hidden, not closed, and when you press OK button next time, the default button on hidden Video OSD (Pause) is being pressed and video is paused.

Iā€™d know a way to do thisā€¦ Will have a look at it when Iā€™m back home. Just not sure yet whether adding more options is a good idea for minor changes here. :thinking:

@adamanth Perhaps, you should start a poll to see whether there are people who need this at all.

1 Like