[HowTo] OSMC Skin, Hiding the Pause OSD (On-Screen-Display) After Amount of X Seconds

I’m quite happy having this feature on my local setup and just wanted to share my findings for everyone who also missing it in OSMC skin. Wouldn’t like to push OSMC team to add this into distribution.

1 Like

The bar showing stop, pause/play ect. buttons definately should be able to automatically be hidden after n seconds. It should vanish it gradiantly (going transprent in .5 sec or something).

In the settings for this it should say something like:

Hide [play bar] automatically: Never / n seconds

Our approach is that any OSD element that is brought up with a button press will close with a button press. An OSD element like the pause progress bar that is brought up by another action (pausing playback), but not a specific button press, can automatically disappear - that’s what we have an option for.

@adamanth has outlined a way to edit this manually, but we’ve decided not to implement an option for manually brought up OSD elements at this time.

Frankly speaking sounds a bit funny )) Pause button is not a specific button on remote??? Really? What is that then? What is the difference between it an OK button on the same remote?

“Pause” is a command to pause a video, the OSD is secondary to that. On the other had when you press “OK” you are sending a command to open the OSD, so that is its primary function. Chillbo’s approach makes sense if you spend the time to parse exactly what he is saying.

I use my Samsung Smart TV’s remote (later TV remote) to control my OSMC@RaspberryPi3. There are two options for me to pause the video:

1. Press OK button from my TV remote to open the OSD and then press the PAUSE symbol.

2. Press PAUSE button from my TV remote.

When I use the PAUSE button integrated onto my TV remote to pause the video and then PLAY button integrated on my TV remote to play the video again, the display showing the status of the video been played disappears after ~1 second.

It is notable though that the display that comes when I press PAUSE button integrated onto my TV remote is not the same that comes when I press OK button > pause symbol.

I also have a second remote control for my TV (Samsung TM1750A) which does not have the pause button in it. With that I have to use the OK button > PAUSE symbol method to pause.

That is mirroring exactly what has been described before. Pressing OK opens the full OSD with all control buttons. Pressing pause will just open the progress bar as a secondary action (if the corresponding setting is not set to ‘disabled’ - then it will not show up at all when pressing pause - which is now available on a new staging build of the skin).
These two OSDs are different and thus the way they behave are different. We make it possible to hide an OSD that is just opened as an effect of a different action (pausing), but an OSD element that is offering all control buttons as well as e.g. the info dialog OSD shouldn’t be hidden automatically as they’re opened by a specific button only meant to open that specific OSD element.

1 Like