[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

Same issue exists in the new version, this is the top of my top while at that menu.

557 osmc      21   1   95860  20584  16668 R   6.3  2.7   0:15.48 emulations+
  743 osmc      20   0    3060   1656   1304 R   1.0  0.2   0:00.10 top
   75 root       1 -19       0      0      0 S   0.7  0.0   0:01.34 VCHIQ-0
    7 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.3  0.0   0:00.42 rcu_preempt
   76 root       1 -19       0      0      0 S   0.3  0.0   0:02.56 VCHIQr-0
  132 root       0 -20       0      0      0 S   0.3  0.0   0:00.32 kworker/2:+
    1 root      20   0   21944   3224   2132 S   0.0  0.4   0:02.80 systemd

New version is much nicer though. Locations are nicer and you donā€™t have to chroot to use the setup.

Could you try another keyboard?
Also, try to unplug and replug your keyboard from usb when es is running.

Tried the unplug/replug thing on the old install, didnā€™t help. Canā€™t try a new keyboard right now since I only have the one unfortunately. I was trying to test it out to see if everything was working before committing to a controller or anything so this is my only way in. Itā€™s pretty standard though I canā€™t see why it would be incompatible. Any other testing I can do?

EDIT: Just had an idea. Could my FLIRC be interfering with it? Perhaps taking the place of the keyboard and preventing the real keyboard from working. Canā€™t test at this minute, will test in an hour or so.

Iā€™d suggest the following steps:

• ssh into the pi
  • shut down kodi with sudo service mediacenter stop
  • type emulationstation
  • See if the keyboard works then

It could still be a problem with kodi not shutting down. You donā€™t use hyperion, do you?
Please instead of using top, could you pgrep kodi.bin instead, when es is running?

Edit: If you have an usb ir adapter emulating keyboardpresses, this could be the case. Does anything happen, when you press keys on the remote in es?

Ok so. Did the following.

Booted the pi with only the keyboard in and nothing else, entered retropie through the programs addon. No good.
Killed Kodi and started emulation station by command, still no good.
Both the above gave no output for pgrep kodi.bin.

Then tried doing the same except with the FLIRC device in instead of the keyboard for both methods. Annoyingly it fucking works. Can hold down OK and itā€™ll say KEYBOARD and start trying to bind keys. Unfortunately there is no F4 on it so I still needed to sudo reboot.

No idea why it works and the keyboard doesnā€™t. The keyboard isnā€™t special, doesnā€™t even require software at all in Windows.

Well as long as you have 4 navigation keys and a two more buttons on your remote than just assign that to the D-Pad plus A and B.
With that minimum you could at least navigate in ES and exit without reboot.

You would also need a button for start.

Rightā€¦but anything I can do to make the actual keyboard work? I mean I guess it isnā€™t the end of the world since I can check everything out painfully with the remote but Iā€™d rather fix the keyboard.

Pretty sure you canā€™t skip bindings though, itā€™ll ask me to bind every key to something and that wonā€™t happen.

EDIT: Well everything seems to be working as far as I could tell with a gimped ā€˜controllerā€™. It stopped working properly in-game but I guess the individual emulators use different configs and didnā€™t recognise the remote? Could go left and right but not press X.

I did notice that I have slight overscan issues in emulationstation - maybe 20 pixels each side - not sure if they extend to game emulators yet. I had them in Kodi too but used the calibration tool to fix them there.
Time to buy a controller I guess, cannot believe the price of PS3 onesā€¦

A real game pad would be of use. You can skip bindings by holding down any button for two seconds in es.
You should adjust your tv settings to ā€œjust scanā€ or ā€œdirectā€ mode. So that the pixel scaling is 1:1. The overscan is most likely introduced in the tv.
Also see if you have a ā€œgame modeā€. That skips image processing steps of the tv to remove input delay.

Iā€™m having issues with the controller as well. Iā€™ve tried installing osmc and retrosmc from scrath. The install wonā€™t creator a file in retroarch-joypads. When I try to save autoconfig through the F1 menu under input it says: ā€œError saving autoconf fileā€.
Almost seems like a writing permission issue?

If I do the config through bind all it works fine, it just wonā€™t save. It would be nice to not have to do this every time.

Other thanks that I want to thank you for a great work! :slight_smile:

Edit:
Got it working! Here is how for the snes emulator, should be similar in other emulators.
Open F1 menu, settings, input, user 1 bind all.
Back to menu, save new config (here itā€™s able to save).
Opt/retrosmc /opt/retropie/configs/snes
Backup retroarch.cfg and then delete it
Rename the snes9x_next_libreto.conf to retroarch.conf
Play and enjoy!

Having issues with the alsa error and no sound willing to try any fixes. Have pi1 a pi2 and some sd cards can I sign up for testing too?

Thanks this fixed my problem after two reboots

If you still want to test the new version, I invited you.

This is the issue Iā€™m now having with the F310 controller. It configured fine in emulation station, though it had a minor bug that was easy enough to get around - see here for problem and solution answer.

Now according to everything Iā€™ve seen, in the newer versions thatā€™s it, itā€™s done. But when I try and launch a PSX game I get this in yellow at the bottom as the game starts, same happens if I replug it.

Logitech F310 Gamepad (XInput) (1133/49693) not configured

~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg pastebin
/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/LogitechGamepadF310.cfg pastebin

Cannot find a solution. I have found posts about a newish issue with this particular controller, one two, but it doesnā€™t seem quite the same, at least in this case the controller actually works and is ā€˜configuredā€™.

EDIT: The only thing thatā€™s different from a standard setup is my BIOS and roms folder are symlinks to /mnt/diskstation/games/RetroPie/BIOS|roms and are RO. Is it possible this could cause issues? It shouldnā€™t, but could it?

EDIT: FINALLY got it working. Changed line,
input_joypad_driver = sdl2
to
input_joypad_driver = xinput

Donā€™t know why it needed it but it works. Buttons are mapped backwards on PSX - A should be X but is swapped with B, Y should be Triangle but is swapped with X - but thatā€™s an easy fix I think. EDIT: Turns out Retropie treats the buttons like it would on a SNES controller so A/B and X/Y are flipped. I just reconfigured them backwards then manually edited the es_input.cfg to flip them again so theyā€™d be normal in the menu and normal in-game. Only place they appear off now is in the retroarch menu within an emulator.

is anyone able to use netplay on retroosmc? for me its not working, not even if i try to connect two retropi stations on the same lan ā€¦

Hi can you invite me to test new script?
thanks.

I tested this script, and install smooth at mi raspberry pi 2 with OSMC, enter and exits fine, keyboard fine, but my wireless rumblepad is not detected.

I have read this thread but dont see help on that, all people only talk aboy Xbox controler. At openelec my rumblepad was detected without issues, and retroarch runs fineā€¦ but at OSMC or Retropie cant run it :frowning:

Hi. I invited you. If it also doesnā€™t work with the new version, it would be good to get more info about your gamepad (Brand and dmesg/lsusb output after plugging it in)

1 Like

As testing was successful, I now switched to the new version in the first post.
YOU NEED TO UNINSTALL THE OLD ONE FIRST! So save your configfiles.

Further versions of the scripts will not require uninstallation.

2 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to installing it. Thanks again for all your work. And thanks to those who had the time to test it as well. Wish I could have helped on that front.

thanks mcobit still have problems with my gamepad, i will tell you some data,

Installation from new script was smooth, maybe was too long, near one hour, but was too easy, one click :wink:

I have Rumblepad cordless 2 (I have 4 but only connecte one receive and one gamead) from logitech, its fine detected as js0 at Osmc, and when launch Retropie it said ā€œGamepad Detected press A button to configureā€ The problem is, this game pad is Infrared, and runs fine because dont need configuration, its detected as cord gamepad.

But I think it doesnt support ā€œmantain buttonā€ (sorry my bad english), if you press button 4 sec I think he doesnt detect that, and I cant enter to configuration area, can I change that to make retropie enter configuration with only press A button? not mantain it? or I dont know how to do it :frowning:

Thanks for your help.