[HowTo] Setup voice control and cli goodies for OSMC

Since google released google-assistants-sdk, now we can use it to have true voice control over anything.
I have seen some solutions using IFTTT or actions on google which are either overkill or too slow ( since are calling more external services than necessary ).
For this guide to work you need to have an aditional raspberry pi you then setup google assistant on top of the pi and go from there.

I have all the code open on github, feel free to take a look and contribute if you have an idea.
I use the google assitant and I watch the speech that it recognizes to run arbitrary scripts with arguments coming from the speech. I have a few scripts that I use daily and now they all work through this voice interface.

• search and play youtube video
  • play trending music from youtube
  • control playback on kodi
  • listen to random interesting ted talks
  • run whatever script you have with whatever arguments.

Repo: GitHub - hamidzr/kodi-extras: Kodi cli controls and google assistant integration

For Quick Start please refer to the repo’s readme.

1 Like

This sounds awesome.

Is there a reason it won’t run on the same box as OSMC? Too much load?

Would be very interested to see how you’re working the custom actions…

about the load: running the assistant sdk is about 30% cpu usage all the time, but I have not really tried to see if that is a barrier or not to run it on the same machine. Also my pi controlling the projector im using is positioned somewhere that my voice won’t reach easily. but the most important factor is that I messed up my sound configuration trying to setup bluetooth on the pi so It wasn’t trivial to get google assistant running in there. Thus lack of motivation :slight_smile:

If any one can confirm that google assistant is easily installed on osmc, that would be helpful. There is a well written guide about that here, by google: Introduction to the Google Assistant Library  |  Google Assistant SDK  |  Google Developers