Hyperion new installation

Hello everyone,

I have the original Vero 4K and would like some help and orientation to assemble a hyperion system with it.
I’m aware of the OSMC and Hyperion topic, but it is too advanced for me.

Starting with the basics, what is the equipment that I need to perform the installation?
I have the Vero 4K (obviously), and am aware of the equipment listed in this tutorial for the raspberry pi 3 https://hyperion-project.org/threads/raspberry-pi-3-mediacenter-hyperion-ambilight-no-soldering.77/
I have an original raspberry pi model B+ lying around, wich I believe is enough just for controlling the lights, since there are some people that use arduino or teensy boards for that.

My questions are:

1. Is it somehow possible to use just the Vero 4K, without any other hardware, to control the lights?
  2. In case it isn’t possible, can I do it using the Vero 4K and the original raspberry pi model B+?
  3. Regarding number 2, how do I make the connection between the Vero and the raspberry?

I’m a complete newbie on linux and command line interface, but I like to learn and explore, so if anyone can point me to the right resources, I might be able to solve my problem.

Thank you very much for the help.

Yes to 1 and 2. Which would you prefer?

Sometimes users elect to handle hardware control on a second device.

Sam

Thank for your attention Sam!

For practical purposes, the number 1 is easier, so let’s follow with that!

For learning purposes, number 2 is more interesting. When I can accomplish the first, we can get the second one going.

1. I need to send @hissingshark a long due PM so we can simply Hyperion.

I’ll do that shortly.

Sam

Got it Sam.
Meanwhile, can we get started on number 2?

There are some details in the Hyperion thread.

Option 2 will not be trivial and will require command line knowledge.

Sam

@lf_monteiro I’m running an installation of Hyperion like you describe in your OP, a Vero 4K and a Raspi 3B. Trust me, before you get them running together you want to figure out how to get it running on a single device. (Troubleshooting) electric wiring is an additional level of problems that might occur. If you haven’t done anything like it before, maybe plan a day or two on the weekend with multiple hours in a row.

For starters, stick to the tutorial on hyperion-project.org, and get it running on your Pi with OSMC.

If everything works, advance to step 2 and use hissingshark’s setup script to compile and run it on the Vero as a client. Change the one on the Pi to behave as a server. I also posted the initial setup and both configs in the Hyperion thread.

Good luck!

€dit: Another tip: Don’t buy the corner connectors linked in the tutorial at point 12 of the hardware list. Their click-in mechanism is unreliable and once they punched through a stripe, the stripe is bound to that connector forever. Use these L-shaped ones instead. You can slide in the stripes on both ends and they push down on the electrical connection. It’s firm but non-damaging and will also get you nice 90 ° edges.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it’s been made to look far more complicated than it really is. Don’t worry!

The installer is working and for your purposes you wont need to compile the software yourself on the Vero4k, just install the prebuilt binaries. It will take minutes.

As RJ45 has rightly said the hardware side is the complicated (but fun) bit. It would be easier if the Vero4k had it’s own GPIO connectors as you wouldn’t need the RPi/Arduino “driver” in the middle to drive the LEDs by proxy. I think there is an advantage to this though, in that the signal wires to your lights can be short, with your driver close by to avoid flickering etc. The only long cable, if any distance is needed, will be a nice high quality USB cable between the Vero4k and the driver.

It’s all good.