I find KODI unresponsive after several idling hours

• The issue you are currently experiencing with OSMC

After being idle for several hours - a day, I find XBMC frozen with the screensaver running (dimmed display). Only a power cycle fixes it.

It does not react to TV’s remote (CEC), the yatse android app or the web interface. The web server works and I can browse my library through it. I can press play on a movie but it doesn’t play.

SSH works but if I try to restart mediacenter then the terminal freezes.
restart (reboot) command hangs the terminal and I cannot open a new connection.
I tried grabbing the logs with grab-logs -A but the script hangs too. ^C works if I keep it pressed. This is the message I get:

^C^C^C^C^C^C^CTraceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/grab-logs”, line 846, in
m.launch_process()
File “/usr/bin/grab-logs”, line 658, in launch_process
result = self.write_to_temp_file()
File “/usr/bin/grab-logs”, line 728, in write_to_temp_file
self.log_blotter = [x.replace(‘\0’, ‘’) for x in self.log_blotter]
KeyboardInterrupt

there’s no temp log in /var/tmp

I checked the script and manually saved some of the information grabbed by it (cmdline, df, dmesg, free, fstab, journalctl, systemd/system, uname, kodi, kodi.old) and pasted them on http://paste.osmc.io/osokocasoh.coffee

• What you were doing when this issue occurred

Nothing, osmc/kodi was idle with the display dimmer screensaver active

• Whether you can replicate this issue on demand. If you can, then please provide some steps on how an OSMC developer can reproduce the same issue.

Leaving it idle.

• The device you are currently running OSMC on

Raspberry Pi 3

• What peripherals are attached to the device?

just the TV.

• Has this issue been introduced by a new version of OSMC? When did the issue first appear and can you recall a time when it was not present?

It started sometime in the last 2-3 months, I cannot say more precisely.

The displayed Kodi clock is frozen at 18:14 and I noticed in the journalctl that at 18:18 there’s this message:

Nov 11 18:18:07 Kodi kernel: INFO: task kworker/0:0:5480 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

Of course, I will answer any additional questions you have. Thank you.

Sounds like either your power supply or the SD card is failing.

I checked the SD card (SanDisk Ultra 16gb) for read errors but nothing. I will clone it and check it thoroughly with H2testw. I didn’t think about the power supply, it’s the official one exactly for this reason. I might switch to a temporary one but first I’ll try with another SD card.

You also might want to temporary rename your device. I was quite confuse when I was reading Kodi all over the logs till I figured out it is your device name

WARNING: CPythonInvoker(168, /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.extendedinfo/default.py): the python script "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.extendedinfo/default.py" has left several classes in memory that we couldn't clean up. The classes include: N9XBMCAddon7xbmcgui10DialogBusyE

i keep seeing this through out the log, could be a OOM issue. You could try disabling extendedinfo and see if the issue persists.

Tom

Thanks all for the suggestions. I renamed the device to “rpi3” and disabled the extendedinfo addon. We’ll see how it goes. I’ll report back if/when it freezes again.