I got the Raspberry Pi 3 and my experience with it

Update on my Raspberry Pi 3 with OSMC installation and A2DP.

1. Create 64GB MicroSD card using OSMC installer - Windows 10 and El Capitan 10.11.4 - Both work perfectly.
  2. Access terminal with SSH and paste: wget http://paste.osmc.io/raw/qiyekuvafe -O- | sudo sh to set up A2DP.
  3. Both Bluetooth internal and external SMK BT 4.0 pair perfectly on the fly and stream audio from iPhones and iPads without a hitch.
  4. Internal Bluetooth is NOT good for A2DP, watch my video. The SMK 4.0 Dongle works perfectly.
  5. Everything I want to have for my Media Center is loaded and working.
    I did my Raspberry Pi2 with OSMC and it was perfect. I got a Pi3 since it has built-in Wifi and Bluetooth.
    Youtube video: Set up OSMC on Raspberry Pi 3 as Media Center - YouTube

Cheers,

Louis

• Plugged the SD from Pi2 and everything works perfectly without external USB wifi and with external USB SMK 4.0 bluetooth plugged in. I like the A2DP feature on the bluetooth to stream music from my iPhones, iPads to the unit.

• Created a new SD card with NOOBS 1.9
    A. must upgrade to the latest OSMC to recognize the internal bluetooth.
    B. Wifi works right out of the box with old firmware came with 1.9.
    C. The bluetooth is worthless with A2DP, stuttering, on and off while streaming, horrible.
    D. Plugged in the external SMK USB 4.0 bluetooth - configure it and it does sound as horrible as the internal one. Now this is with the latest firmware.
    E. To get this working perfectly, use the same old firmware, use the external USB bluetooth 4.0 (the old firmware won’t recognize the internal bluetooth, it’s a blessing).
    F. I think the old Pi2 is better than Pi3, except for the built-in WIFI that works well. The PI3 I got, had some discolor display through HDMI after playing for a while, wiggle it, and it came back nice and clear again (workmanship issue?).

I’ll have a full video on how I configure my PI3 soon.

Cheers,

Louis

My Pi3 had some discolor display through HDMI too. After 30s playing for a while. Who can fix this error . Thanks for helping

Probably a lossy hdmi cable. See: R-Pi Troubleshooting - eLinux.org

and try setting the config_hdmi_boost parameter. Or try a different HDMI cable.

Possible duplicate of bluez regression which should be fixed shortly.

I re-installed OSMC with the newest version 2016-4-1 using El Capitan, configure both internal and external USB bluetooth, both can connect very nicely. The external worked perfectly with A2DP streaming music from my iPhone without a hitch. The internal still stuttering, on and off.
Thanks,
Louis

I did my Raspberry Pi3 with OSMC. I want to use my iPhone remote Kodi play music or video , I don’t have internet so i want to connect my iPhone and my Pi3 via bluetooth. Who can help me how to do this. I am a NOOBs unix or linux

Bluetooth can only stream music using A2DP set up. Without Internet, you may not be able to set up A2DP procedure.
You need Wifi to use iPhone as remote (you may not need internet, but you need router to create SSID).
You need Internet one time to set up. You can use USB keyboard & mouse to navigate.
You can hook up a USB hard drive with movies and music to play without Internet.
You can use a big 128GB microSD to load music and video files to it and play without internet.

I just upgraded my PI2 (overclocked to 1ghz) to a PI3(No overclock). Using a Sandisk Extreme 16GB sd card.

I have not used the bluetooth or wifi so can’t comment on that.

As far as playing performance goes it has substantially improved playing 1080p High bitrate x264 encodes over Samba without the micro stutter I was getting with some encodes (action movies) on the PI2.

Seeking performance over Samba has greatly improved. While not instant like it is with my i3 Haswell box it is acceptable while playing 1080p content. Generally 1 second seeks vs the 4-5 second seeks I was getting on the PI2. 480p seeks are instant and 720p is between 0.2-0.5 seconds.

Overall the PI3 has reached a performance point where I am considering to switch to using it as a daily driver. Once some more info comes out about stable overclock settings for the PI3 I will give that a try.

There was an old, long standing issue in Kodi that cause microstutter. It was fixed in this month’s update and things will likely also be improved on your Pi 2 as well.

I used the windows installer to get osmc and it’s the same version on rpi3 as rpi2. Haven’t tried blue tooth but internal rpi3 wifi works fine. Didn’t use a flirc alloy case in-case wifi shielded. Used a plastic lego brick one.
I stuck a heat sink on the rpi3 because it gets warmer than the rpi2.
Over clocking is set to normal and shows 1200 MHz.

I’m using the flirc case on my RPi3, and it has no adverse effect on the wifi. The small cutout in the back of the case that was meant for the LED of the Pi2 lines up perfectly with the wifi antenna.