If/how to use kernel 4.5 or 4.6

Dear all,

is it possible at all to use a newer kernel than 4.4 with OSMC? I’d be willing to compile it myself of course.

I’m struggling with getting various DVB USB cards to work on my Pi 3 with OSMC.

The latest that I’d like to try is a Hauppauge WinTV solo. Reportedly it works well with Linux. However, it won’t be recognized by a version 4.4 kernel. Driver support is included in the 4.5 and 4.6 lines.

Is it possible at all?

Thanks.

We’ll move to a newer kernel when it’s LTS’d. Until then, I’m happy to stick with 4.4. on Pi. You can of course pick kernel-osmc from GitHub, and you could likely get away with make oldconfig on our existing config and updating the commit hash in build.sh.

But the easier solution would likely be to build v4l drivers, which can be compiled out of tree.

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction.

I managed to build the drivers using the famous instructions from linuxtv.org as well as the very important hints from @mometto in another thread. Specifically, I had to create a symlink for the headers and download the complete kernel source and copy a mach directory as described by @mometto.

I see block artifacts every couple of seconds, so I’ll try to use a better coax cable (inspired by this post).

BTW, it took ~45 minutes to compile the V4L drivers on the Raspberry Pi 3 with a class-10 microSD card.