Improving Wireless support in OSMC

Originally published at: https://osmc.tv/2015/09/improving-wireless-support-in-osmc/
We’re constantly working on improving WiFi support in OSMC. Unfortunately this is an area that’s hard to get right. I thought I’d write about some of the challenges in this area and how we address them. The Linux kernel When possible, we like to use the WiFi driver that ships with the Linux kernel. The…

Thanks for the WiFi update.

I have five WiFi dongles now. One appears to work perfectly. The others, which did not even register with MyOSMC networking, now appear under the wireless option with the September update - so the situation is improving. However, of these four when I enter the wireless key I end up with the sad face. Rebooting appears to connect to the internet, time updates, weather updates, folders appear under SAMBA, but file access is slow and often times out.

Sorry for these ramblings, but I am finding the situation very confusing, especially as you point out the dongles all look the same!

By the way I have found out how to dump logs to the SD card and then post them. Which log is useful and what should I look for?

Two more observations if I may.

The WiFi dongle that does work reports as “FRITZ!WLAN USB Stick AC 860” when plugged into my PC.

However, when looking at it under the MyOSMC networking page I am unable to exit the page and have to restart the Pi2. Same with all the other dongles. The exit button and doing a “back” appear to do nothing.

I installed the September version via wired Ethernet, everything went smooth, (except working with RTL2832u I wrote in the corresponding thread). Meanwhile the system is on, I plugged in the Mediatech USB wireless stick which requests the appropriate mt7601 driver. According to dmesg it was succesfully recognized:
[ 3680.745586] usbcore: registered new interface driver mt7601u

Pulled out the Ethernet cable, after a “sad face automatic restart” wireless managed to take over the net connection. SSH worked perfect. I powered off the system (from menu), then booted with power-cycling (I mean plug out/in the power plug) meanwhile Wifi stick is plugged in. System does not start, (black screen with messages etc then froze, OSMC opening graphics screen does not even appear).
I pulled out the Wifi stick, system started normaly, Wired Ethernet works as usual.
I read something about the mt7601 driver that there are still problems with it:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120526&p=815046
which is not clear for me, but may cause the problem.
(HW config is raspberry2, SDcard+USBstick, RTL2832 tuner)
thanks

Hi @sam_nazarko Thank you for your awesome work. I have been using your builds since the crystalbuntu days.

I am currently using Raspberry pi 1 and moved from Raspbmc to OSMC yesterday. However, the wifi dongle that was working fine with Raspbmc is not working with OSMC.

The connmanctl> scan wifi command gives me the following error on OSMC
osmc Error /net/connman/technology/wireless: Method “Scan” with signature “” on interface “net.connman.Technology” doesn’t exist

However, while running Raspbmc (the last stable build), the wifi works fine and I see the following:
usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0ace, idProduct=1215
usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=16, Product=32, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-1.2: Product: USB2.0 WLAN
usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: ZyDAS

Could you please add support for this dongle to Raspbmc? Thank you for your help.