IMX6 beta builds ?!

@DBMandrake Oki.

Btw. if the OP is smart, he directly sees from the referenced commit, how to backup and restore his original SPL and u-boot after an upgrade.

Edit: This should go one entry down under IMX6 beta builds ?! - #22 by DBMandrake

If you look at the commit that you cite youā€™ll see that my only contribution is fixing/rewriting the debian package scripts both to add improved error handling (we really really want to be careful when updating u-boot) and to work around an issue where dpkg canā€™t extract a new copy of SPL and u-boot.img over the old ones on a FAT32 filesystem, causing the package upgrade to fail. (hence the rm -f in preinst) This problem was noticed during testing and quickly fixed.

As de facto Debian packaging nerd on OSMC I do a lot of package script rewrites and fixes on existing packages to keep our package upgrade system as robust as possible and make sure that we maintain some common conventions and practices in the scripts. If you search for ā€œPackage Scriptā€ in the commits you should find dozens of commits from me across nearly all the packages.

I donā€™t have any detailed knowledge of how u-boot works beyond an overall conceptual overview so I would not be capable of making the changes that you imply anyway.

I donā€™t mean to be snarky but seriouslyā€¦ the Vero is like a white Cubox, they look identical, not just the shape also the different ports. I know it is a different SoC, but n00bs will think it is the same thing basically.
I really support the effort of releasing your own hardware, it is fantastic! And I understand you will push it as much as possible, makes sense. But for the end user, the only difference is that the people behind OSMC can fully support the device.
I do not consider the remote to be unique. That is a choice, you could write code for any device (RPi or Cubox) with the appropriate receiver (which the Cubox has) to work with it. But I definitely understand why this will never happen (and there is no need for it, at least I prefer to use 1 remote in my house, using CEC and have my phone with Yatse for backup).

My point is: in my opinion for end users, the experience you are talking about really comes down to the software, not to the hardware. Whether it is the Vero or the Cubox, the experience for end users could be the same. But the Israeli team behind the Cubox has clearly let us down and now all Cubox owners (that know of the existence of OSMC) are putting all their hopes on OSMC. Please do not let us down. Iā€™ll definitely donate for the project if OSMC is really coming to the Cubox!

1 Like

I am getting really sick of ā€œI obviously donā€™t know how these things are different, so I will just assume they arenā€™t, and I donā€™t know what it would take to get OSMC working on it, so I will just assume it must be easyā€ posts.

I see them all the time over at the kodi forum too, in the feature requests sub-forum.

Why do the people with the least amount of knowledge have the most confidence to tell those who have the most amount of knowledge how easy the things they should obviously be doing are?

2 Likes

Well shit this discussion went south fast lets refocus and keep it on topic please i for one is really interested in an official release rather then a cheap hack since i love the platform that OSMC is.

We still plan to support OSMC on i.MX6 devices. Itā€™s actually quite flattering that so many people are anticipating an official OSMC release on these platforms and indicates to us that no oneā€™s quite up to scratch on that platform yet. Rather than end up producing something that half works, like other distributions, weā€™d like to take our time and get things right. The end result is that OSMC will run on i.MX6 the way itā€™s meant to

Sam

Itā€™s actually quite flattering that so many people are anticipating an official OSMC release on these platforms and indicates to us that no oneā€™s quite up to scratch on that platform yet. Rather than end up producing something that half works, like other distributions, weā€™d like to take our time and get things right.

That was fully offending, against me personally:

All your IMX patches either come from OpenELEC or xbian (as they are in RC2/RC3) - backported by me. I even pinged you every time, that there is something you might need to improve your vero.

Currently xbianā€™s head dev @mk01 is fixing your 3D stuff, while I currently fix 3D display on v15 - which is not working at all.

I thought we are working together on imx. This feels again like kindergarden. Why donā€™t you tell the truth concerning the hw/sw capabilities of imx6?

All you do is playing on time - your vero has been delayed nearly 6 months and is barely usable as of today. Even the network needed to be throttled, cause of hw flakiness. Concentrate on the present, please and fix your flagship device first, your users paid a whole lot of money for your software support, which is not a nice skin, but working videoplayer. Then you can point with fingers on ā€œother distributionsā€, but please leave those out - that actually do your work.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that but this was not the intention of my post. I am not referring to the video processing functionality, but rather that current distributions havenā€™t had regular development releases or have sometimes gone AWOL.

I donā€™t believe I have obscured anything. Iā€™m not promising rainbows and butterflies here, just that weā€™ll bring regular updates and developments as they happen. Obviously if weā€™re able to resolve any issues, weā€™ll PR these fixes and upstream them.

2 months. First orders were scheduled for a mid January dispatch and they shipped in March instead.

Thanks, but thatā€™s subjective, and I think this is borderline ad-hominem, I donā€™t see how it furthers your argument.

This is a bug for switches that do not properly implement flow control. That is very rare.

P.S. Youā€™ve upgraded to Galcore 5 in OpenELEC. Thatā€™s extremely unstable and will give you problems. Youā€™ll also see an issue with null pointers in windowing

I mean you or mk01 no offense at all. I appreciate the work youā€™ve put in to the i.MX6 platform. Letā€™s keep working on making it better.

S

1 Like

I donā€™t know anything about the vero, but I do know what trolling looks like.

1 Like

wow i mean OSMC doesnt really have to support every platform right ? its Opensource and here are even Kodi members yelling about iMX6 devices this shit has really gotten out of hand.

Im usally the guy thats really pushing for new devices but this has really gotten out of hand if iMX6 is such a priority send patches instead of letting Sam or the others (sorry for not knowing everyone on OSMC team) instead of bithcing about it in forums.

thats my two simple cents.

1 Like

Wow wtf, there was absolutely nothing in Samā€™s post that could have offended other teams out there. Team Xbian has done a great job so far even though itā€™s a small team. It is no secret there is currently no distribution out there that fully supports all of the Cubox capabilities and runs stable. Also not XBian. But he did not offend anyone, simply saying no one has reached a fully functioning and stable distribution yet. I could also get really upset about XBian not working well on Cubox but I respect the folks for taking time to build XBian in their spare time. Ease your temper please.

@Sam thanks for the post that at least gives us more hope OSMC will eventually run on iMX.6 :smile:
Just to make clear I really did not want to offend anyone with my post.

To get some more positivity in this topic:

Most people forget the Cubox-i actually has built-in wifi and Bluetooth. It seems it might be possible to turn your Home Cinema or HIFI into a bluetooth speaker with the Cubox-i. That would be amazingly awesome since you can just play any music to your home setup from your smartphone!

Hi,

I just donated to the project, though it didnā€™t come to the cubox yet ā€¦

Keep up your good work!

Cheers,

Holger

So how is all coming together ?
What I mean is an idea of a status would be nice and helpful.
Is the IMX.6 build difficult because of bugs or is more a question of time and resources ?

Wish we could have at the very least a 1st beta build, even if it crashes or does not have the perfect codec settings, something to test with would be great.

I am clearly volunteering to help QA and find problems and find solutions/suggestions if I could get something to play with :slight_smile:

As much I know, we can expect a first build in september.

where did u get this information?

still waiting for imx6 osmc image, meanwhile iā€™m using oe @ helix 14.2. its running fine

yepp that (OE) glorified busybox is really teh shit

So, umm, September came and went, any beta releases yet? Iā€™m dying on OEā€¦

its not gonna happen use Geexbox or XBian

Doesnā€™t look like anyone has full support. Geexbox is dead. OE is saying to use OSMC. Iā€™m not going to use XBian because I donā€™t need a full distro.

In fact, from the looks of thing OSMC seems to be the closest thing to something that works on the Cubox-I, at least from the old threadsā€¦

Wtf Geexbox isnt dead last update came last week so get your facts straight before ramblingā€¦