Include usbip support?

Can we include the kernel modules that the client and server require ?

Thanks !

Please elaborate?

Thanks!

Sure - it lets you remotely access USB devices over the network as though they were physically attached locally.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/readme/tools-usb-usbip-README

The user space stuff is easily accessible but there’s a couple of kernel modules needed.

1 Like

If you tell me what CONFIG_ options, or better yet, submit a pull request, it will be included in the next update

Sam

If you haven’t seen it, there’s an article here about compiling the modules for an RPi. They’re apparently already compiled for Raspbian and in the repo.

@penfold42 I’ll accept a PR to add this, or confirm the CONFIG_ options needed and I’ll get it included in the next update

Sam

Thanks for the reminder…

This is with 4.9.27:

CONFIG_USBIP_CORE=m
CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_HC_PORTS=8
CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_NR_HCS=1
CONFIG_USBIP_HOST=m

Is that all you need?

That’s probably sufficient. If you can PR it to GitHub for all platforms, that would be appreciated.

Sam

Hello, I know this thread is old but I wanted to know if the usbip modules are already available for the Vero 4k.

Thanks.

I’ve added support for this for you:

So it will be in the next update (this month).

Cheers

Sam

Thank you Sam! I really appreciate it.

Hi Sam,

I’m new to the forum but I enjoy your osmc on a raspberry pi for quite a while now. I’s very good software, thanks!

A question to the usbip topic: would it be possible to include it in the RPi version of osmc as well? As I understand the patch above is for the vero only.

Thanks
morphZ

If it’s not in already I’ll be happy to accept a PR for it

Did it! Was my first PR. Hopefully did it right :slight_smile:

When will the patch be applied in an actual osmc update?

Thanks in advance.

Well done!

Looks good. We’ll give it some testing. It should then be in the next OSMC update.

Cheers

Sam

Hi

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

NB: this will update you to Debian Stretch

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Sam

Sorry to dig up this old post but i was wondering if usbip support was ever included by default?

I just ran a long hdmi from my gaming pc to the living room and my controllers won’t work over this distance. I looked for a solution and found usbip.

So my goal would be to plug my bluetooth dongle into my vero4k which is sitting below the tv and running 24/7 anyway.

I installed the usbip package but the kernel module won’t load:

modprobe: FATAL: Module usbip_host not found in directory /lib/modules/4.9.269-17-osmc
modprobe: FATAL: Module usbip-host not found in directory /lib/modules/4.9.269-17-osmc

Then i checked github and it seems this was removed again:

Could this be included again or does anyone have another solution?

UPDATE 2022-12-06:
I totally forgot my home media server (running omv, debian), which is located closer to the living room than my work/gaming pc. So i setup usbip on this system to share my BT-Dongle and Xbox Wireless Receiver. BT works if i keep the door open (its one of those tiny dongles) and the wireless receiver works even with the door closed :slight_smile:
Having this feature reenabled on osmc would be great but i can live without it for now.

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commit:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv bullseye-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list after updating.

This will deactivate the staging repository. You can do so with the following command:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list.

Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.