Initial test builds for AppleTV

Hi guys,

I’ve still not worked out the issue just yet, but I have added the ability to debug installation issues over the network which is a welcome addition to OSMC:

I’ll rebuild and try a fresh install shortly.

Sam

3 Likes

Right. On the upside, have narrowed my issue down to the fact that it was a 16gb USB3 stick. Using an 8gb usb2 stick i now get the same as others have above…

Roll on the next release - maybe we can narrow these issues down a little more :slight_smile:

I cant wait to see what this can do in place of the outdated Crystalbuntu. I am getting the hang after files are installed as well. Hopefully someone can post a video if they ever get it working by chance. I just can wait to get my eyes some relief to actually the ATV1 come back to life.

Like others I’m getting stuck at max progress bar for “Installing Files”.

Super stoked to see atv1 getting some love. Thanks for all the work over the years Sam!

Hi everyone

I managed to get some time again in the early hours after everyone had gone to bed. My netcat commit was slightly off (the path needed adjusting).

I compiled a fresh image, booted, and the system installed and booted straight in to Kodi. There was definitely something wrong with the first image, but hopefully that’s resolved now.

I have updated the above image.

Looking forward to your feedback,

Sam

Thanks Sam, I’ll give it a try, as soon as I can find my bag of USB sticks, and let you know.

I tried the the same commands (with the current image file) and it worked for me.

I can confirm, it Installed and booted on a 4GB usb stick.

I used OSX Mavericks to create the stick.
I booted it on an ATV1 with an existing CB2 Harddisk install.
Used a 4GB trancend memory stick.

It took a while for the “installing files” stage, but it eventually rebooted and OSMC is Running !
Lag on the menus.
Looks like CrystalHD Card is not being recognized.

Same here! Lovely pink screen on boot ( :wink: ), obviously relatively slow on playback as trying to buffer 1080p on a USB stick, however looking good at the moment :slight_smile: I’ll try some reasonable files in a bit after the morning rush :slight_smile:

If you get the pink screen, then you need to change your RGB Settings in Apple TV OS. OSMC can read the video BIOS settings but it cannot change it.

Just to confirm - this is a USB stick install only? will a USB stick in a hub work with a usb wifi adapter?

You can install to an HDD, but that will require you to manually configure the preseeding and I’ve yet to test this. I don’t recommend it anyway as this build is not a completed work.

A USB hub should be fine

1 Like

Already set to RGB High - I’ll change it and change it back to see if it makes a difference… :slight_smile:

Thank you Sam,
now we are moving, tried it out on three devices ie:
One 4gb flash drive, worked but very slow.
One so called cheap 64gb flash drive of dubious claims. could not find root.
One 64gb External USB SSD Drive, installed OK, very fast for external drive.
Downloaded a few sources, and tried a few movies, played ok, the think that was missing was the icons below the movie Stop-pause-play etc this is using the original ATV1 remote. I have three ATV1s so will try all combinations, so Sam try me with anything that might help you.

Hi Sam,
forgot to add, tried to use a usb hub to allow me to use a keyboard, but would not boot up, not finding root. might be just mine.

Me Again Sam,
now the Menu icons under the movies ie: Stop - play - pause etc are all back, thats after I pulled the power and rebooted, will now check the system files, ram etc, videos all working fine, full HD 1080 etc.can not wait to get this on the internal HD. but like we say, you’r the man Sam, take your time, and you’ll win the day.

Hi Sam

the BCM 70015 is supported in this build?

Good point - option to enable Crystal seems to be permanently disabled - Is just set to “auto”

guys. it is usable? any 720/1080 video testing?

Depends on what you consider usable. As Sam said, it’s not upgradable and it’s far from a stable release.
All I’ve done at this point was play some online 720 videos with the vimeo plugin.
On first video playback, the audio would cyclically cut out. It worked ok after that
Menus were slow in responding.
Looks like CrystalHD card is not being recognized. Sam had a similar issue and is looking into it.