Initial test builds for AppleTV

Seems quite responsive here to be honest - Takes around 30 secs at the start of a playback to Buffer some 1080p Video (H.264) onto Memory stick across the local Lan, however once it starts seems to work quite well :smile:

Pink screen issue sorted since despite changing to RGB high it seems that somehow the Rom defaulted to Y/CB/CR - changed and all good :slight_smile:

Would love to see how it performs buffering directly onto internal HDD - should be much quicker.

Hi Spinner,
I can confirm that 1080 and 720 works fine on my setup, I had 3 attempts as you can see from an earlier post, and installed onto a 64gb external SSD USB3 drive, but we all know that this ATV1 is only usb2, but the ssd part makes it a lot faster than the smaller older flash drives. it seems to be working as good as when installed on the internal drive.
went straight to 1080 movies, played the first one I picked straight away, then picked a 720 one which again played as sweet as a nut.
Guys tell where we used to see the Crystal HD card specified, I can not remember that.
In system its telling me that there is 115 memory available, so thats about the same as it used to be before. If you guys want me to test anything else, just ask my friends.

By the way Guys, the Crystal HD Card must be working, how else would I be able to watch a film in full 1080 ten minutes ago.

1 Like

I have edited your post because you mentioned a pirate addon (and we can’t endorse that).

To verify if CrystalHD is running, hit the ‘o’ key on a keyboard. You should see ‘chd-osmc’ as the decoder if it’s accelerated.

Sam

Cyclical Audio cutout I was experiencing disappeared once I set audio keep alive to “always”
I reinstalled from scratch and got the same result.

Menus seem to lag less with the legacy skin, but still lag when going into each menu section.
I’ll try again with my 8GB stick then hook up a hub so i can connect a keyboard.

A faster storage device will work better.

UPDATE: CrystalHD looks to be working. It’s the advanced menu that’s not working right, and only the menu is disabled.

After a quick test – CrystalHD does appear to be working for me!

Get testing, everyone! I’d like to have this wrapped up for Sunday.

Sam

4 Likes

Looking good here. Network streaming seems to be slow, however suspect thats because of the USB and having to buffer… Any danger of an HD-installable version Sam to see how that runs??

Cheers :smiley:

(Apologies - not sure how much work is needed to get that far!) :smile:

Working on HDD install as you speak.

I genuinely think there is a network performance regression. Try this:

"nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf

I have the same issue here at home. I think ConnMan is not working properly on x86. DNS resolution sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. Perhaps we need to look at the max cstate and verify that under 4.x, but it seems userland (ConnMan) related.

When you get crap playback performance, can you try and play it locally – off a USB drive or mechanical disk? That would help me a lot.

Cheers

Sam

Thats great news - Thanks Sam :slight_smile:

Certainly will try some local playback - Will give that a go tomorrow and report back :slight_smile:

Cheers :smile:

Gday Sam, this really has turned into a labour of love :yum:
I had some free time off work this arvo due to sickness so did a bit of testing.

I realise this is a first released so there are bound to be bugs you likely already know about.

• Dynamic Refresh Rate switching my TV to 24p movie mode is not working, I will try plugging my old Xorg.conf from Crystalbuntu into OSMC. Refresh rate switching works manually in Video Output settings.
  • I’m loosing Audio quite a bit of the time when playing any 23.976fps movies
  • 23.976fps video appears to be sped up to whatever compatible Kodi GUI refresh rate I have. I’m seeing PC:1 in the codec window. Or I get 3:2 pulldown at 60Hz.
  • the first playback of video after bootup is exceedingly slow to get started. This has always been an issue with nVIDIA on the ATV1. OpenELEC actually use a workaround and play a 10 second video after reboot, when Kodi starts to partially avoid this problem and it works well.
  • there are some GUI bugs in the OSMC Skin, highlighting is a problem for some Menus’s. The white highlighter actually disappears sometimes
  • I’m not a fan of chd-osmc in the codec window. I actually want to see what the codec of the video is to troubleshoot problematic files. I realise this is your personal OSMC release but this info is far to dumbed down and not desirable at all.
  • GPU temp as always is still not working. There is a solution floating about, I will try and find it again.

Let me know if you need a debug log at this stage.

I will also try and dig out a few speed tweaking Kodi Patches I’ve used from my AMLogic Kodi distro and pass them on to you for inclusion into OSMC on the ATV1.

Nice to see OSMC finally on the old ATV1 :smiley:

W.

I have the image on the USB stick fine, it boots, and then gets to the initial set up screen, at which point the display starts cutting in and out. I can’t use any remote input to do anything

scratch that - it was a TV issue. My bad

This is probably related to the Xorg.conf which is included. I just included the standard one from CB 2, and run nvidia-xconfig on first boot to populate, so feel free to suggest any changes and I’ll have them included.

‘chd-osmc’ is only ever used for H264 now. We don’t use CrystalHD for MPEG2 or VC1. I’ll change it to ‘chd-h264-osmc’.

We need to work on the skin, but that’s outside of the scope of the Apple TV build here.

I’m working on this.

I haven’t really customised advancedsettings.xml. Here it is (standard for OSMC on low power platforms):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<advancedsettings>
    <network>
        <readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor>
        <cachemembuffersize>10485760</cachemembuffersize>
    </network>
    <imageres>540</imageres>
    <fanartres>720</fanartres>
    <splash>false</splash>
    <handlemounting>0</handlemounting>
    <samba>
       <clienttimeout>30</clienttimeout>
    </samba>
    <gui>
       <algorithmdirtyregions>2</algorithmdirtyregions>
    </gui>
</advancedsettings>

Sam

I have the same issue.
What’s the problem?

What issue are you experiencing?

Sam

Ok - Have checked some local (usb stick) playback performance.

Locally 170Mb Xvid SD plays almost immediately.
However 1.58Gb HD 1080 H.264 - it struggles to start playing in anything less than 70 seconds, is useless within the first couple of minutes, and then a little jumpy for the following 30 seconds. maybe 1080 HD is a little to ambitious with a file of that size…

Thats running off a 8GB USB3 Stick, with 70015 installed.

Hope this helps a little :smile:

Debug logs will really help here.

Sam

Hi Sam,

I manage to install osmc on a 8gb usb stick. The initial installation took ~5m and it worked fine out of the box (ethernet connection, atv remote, hdmi screen, brand new crystalHD 70015).

It seems I can’t mount an HDD drive plugged on my router - the ‘production’ rpi mounts it nicely - but when I try on the atv to
sudo mount -t cifs //10.0.0.1/MEDIA/ -o password=password /media/MEDIA
I get:

mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I mostly tried some video streaming - up to 5 minutes videos from youtube, NYT videos, Nasa plugins. As announced, the first video lags at the beginning (first 15/20sec) then the audio gets synced up and the rest of the video plays fine. A warning with cache filled up appeared a few times but the video playback continued until the end.

I have uploaded some logs here if are of any help: http://paste.osmc.io/fufejazoho

I’ll try to plug the HDD to the atv and play different video format and report back.

Nov 12 22:41:49 osmc mount[1392]: mount error(101): Network is unreachable
Nov 12 22:41:49 osmc mount[1392]: Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
Nov 12 22:41:49 osmc kernel: CIFS VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation.
Nov 12 22:41:49 osmc kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -101```

Seems you have some networking issues. I think there is a network regression, as I sometimes see issues myself. With CB2 we always set max_cstate to prevent this. Perhaps this is no longer effective.

Will investigate

Sam
1 Like

Once OSMC finished installation on ATV1…Do I leave the usb stick there and let it reboots or take it out?
If I leave it in there…Looked like it did the installation again…

anyone had the same experience?