Initial test builds for AppleTV

[quote=“chachacha, post:62, topic:9634, full:true”]
Once OSMC finished installation on ATV1…Do I leave the usb stick there and let it reboots or take it out?[/quote]
You need to leave the USB stick there, since at the moment OSMC installs only on the USB stick. First it runs the installation and after it’s booting OSMC from the stick.

@sam_nazarko - I installed it yesterday and I like it quite a lot. I took my fasted USB stick and the installation was already fast, but so also the OSMC itself. The OSMC skin (which is nice) is very responsive, with some minor bugs. The movies - even in 1080p - start within 1-3 seconds, I never had such a fast playback with CB1 or CB2.
Which still lags a lot is the picture slideshow, maybe I should try to play them locally and not from the NAS. What I see now is already very impressive.
Thanks for that.

This time I was able to install with no issues. My issue comes after OSMC boots, and its only a problem on my particular TV (I had the same issue with OpenELEC on this TV and was never able to resolve it). Other TVs and computer monitors work fine. Once the OSMC splash screen goes away, my TV goes black and starts flashing “No input device”. Crystalbuntu works great, however.

The TV is an old 42" JVC, model LT-42P789 connected via HDMI to my ATV1.

This one :pensive: :

After success with a 4GB stick, I decided to try an 8GB.
One wouldn’t boot at all, which I’ve seen before so no big deal.

What is interesting, is that the second 8GB stick booted up, and got as far as a 100% “installing files” progress bar, and has hung there at that stage overnight.
NOT all sticks are equal.

FWIW, I screwed up the 4GB fully installed stick by pulling it out before it was fully shut down. It wouldn’t boot after that and I had to re-image it.
Not surprised… but i had me thinking…
I seem to recall CB2 had rebooting issues. Would be nice to have a customized shutdown screen since the ATV won’t actually power off. Something to allow halting the system elegantly

You probably need to manually configure your /etc/X11/Xorg.conf

Really?? That fast? I get the scrolling windows10-esque scrolling wheel after 2-3 seconds, however as i mentioned previously a local file on USB3 stick was taking minutes to start playing.

Doesn’t make sense!

Since various USB sticks of the, supposedly, same basic type, either don’t work, or work well, or work slowly, when directly connected… I’m not surprised to see performance differences.
Even more chance of that if they are connected through a USB hub.
I’ve had a few hubs over the years and they were definitely not the same performance.
I had one, that for some reason exhibited slow performance when USB3 and USB2 devices were connected at the same time.
Some tech out there may know the reasons why. I just know what I’ve experienced personally.

toibs: What are you using ?
Joeben: what storage devices do you have connected to the ATV1 and how are they connected ?

Guys

Remember this is the absolute initial port of OSMC to Apple TV. I haven’t had much time to optimise yet at all.

For those experiencing issues installing on some sticks, dmesg is needed. For those experiencing odd behaviour in general, please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC for advice on how to help us.

I’ll optimise tonight, and assume we see no regressions, will announce and release publicly on Sunday

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/usb-flash-drives/integral-infd32gbblk3-0-usb-3-0-memory-stick-32-gb-black-10139474-pdt.html

Not the best, however… :wink:

I’ll see if i can install to an external USB2 HDD and boot from that… :smiley:

I’ll have a hard disk install available shortly which should serve as a nice comparison.

Sam

3 Likes

That would be perfect Sam - Didn’t like to ask as you’re busy! :smiley:

Especially as i have a nice msata installed :slight_smile:

This one :pensive: :

Resolved with another fresh install :grinning:

Hi,

I have also started to test this 11.11 Release. I am now testing with the second USB Stick, but the install is hanging at “Installing files” (the bar has turned dark blue). How long should I wait?

The first test USB stick was a 16 Gb extreme memory, and the second try was a 4 Gb Transcend JetFlash 300 which I bought just for testing OSMC. Does anyone have more specific model specs for working sticks?

How can I extract any debug information from my tries?

Kind regards
Richard

It’ll be USB related for sure. I’ve tried a variety of sticks and I’m not having an issue. You can set up a netcat session and add debugip=… to com.apple.Boot.plist and run /usr/bin/qt_target_installer manually for diagnostic information.

Sam

Hi,
I found out what the problem was. I used an old version of the Win32DiskImager 0.6 which was already installed.
When I upgraded to the latest version from sourceforge, it finally worked with the same stick as before (the Transcend Jetflash 300)

Kind regards
Richard

I hate to be “that guy” but I’m having trouble getting this to work on my ATV1.

I am running the latest OpenElec on it now.

I downloaded the .gz file from the 1st post. Checksum matches.

I downloaded WinDiskManager 0.9.5 from SourgeForce and installed as administrator. I tried 2 different USB sticks - one a 4 GB and the other an 8 GB. I formatted both as Fat32 before starting.

I used WinDiskManager to install to USB. I stuck the USBs (obviously one after the other) in the ATV1 and powered up. Everytime it ignores the USB stick and boots to OpenElec.

Have I misunderstood the directions? Can someone point out where I’m going wrong? Thanks

Hold Menu and - to force the aTV to boot from USB

If that still doesn’t work, then the USBs are not compatible or the image hasn’t been set up correctly. Is this the same stick you used for OE?

Sam

Tried both sticks while holding menu button - no go. One of the sticks is the one I used to install OpenElec.

This would imply a problem with imaging the device. The OSMC installer will be ready soon.

Sam

Is anyone else experiencing very very slow library updating/scraping ?

I have yet to hook up a hub+keyboard to see what’s up.

UPDATE: Did a test with network unplugged, with videos and .nfo files on local USB HDD and scraping was only marginally faster, even though all the data in .nfo files with the videos.
Looks like it’s likely just an older USB2 stick with a slow write speed.