Integrate AirPlay mirroring

It seems a very new project with limited platform support. For now, I’d recommend just building it from source and running it if you’re interested

Sam

These could be daft questions, but can this be run without stopping Kodi Sam?

Any reason it wouldn’t work on Vero 4K+?

Haven’t checked this in much detail, but the only renderer that could be used is the RPi one which is using dispmanx and OMX for playback, so this won’t work on Vero 4K / 4K + as is, but it looks like support could be added trivially enough.

Kodi would need to be stopped. It would be better to get this functionality in to Kodi.

Very interesting…I have a spare pi3B+ knocking around so I’ll give it a little test drive to see what the performance is like.

It would be great to have this functionality back in Kodi eventually, I used to use it all the time before ios9.

Are you sure you didn’t use AirPlay?
I think this provides support for Airplay Mirroring, which is a bit different

Sam

Yeah you’re right Sam.

Although the functionality would still come in very handy to mirror my MacBook to my TV…I currently have to use a HDMI lead trailing across the room to achieve this.

I’m a Vero 4K and Vero 4K+ user and My biggest use cases are mirroring YouTube (just because it browses easier quicker on a smartphone), mirroring photo slideshows and mirroring MacBook Pro (browser/presentation).

I’ve just given this a quick test on a Pi4 and it performs really well.

Looking at this in a bit more detail, there might be some legal implications implementing this in OSMC let alone the technical challenges.

Sam

I was worried about that…still there’s always room for one of my hacky workarounds if it can’t be done officially on the Pi.

Hopefully some kind, clever soul will port it for the Vero as I wouldn’t have a Scooby Doo where to start there lol.

Out of interest Sam, there is third party software available to buy that implements this functionality…how do they get round the legal implications?

Official applications (car manufacturers, presentation software companies etc) license it from Apple.

This prevents a game of cat and mouse where Apple can keep killing the technology at any time.

Ahhh that makes sense.
Cheers.

PS ill chip in a tenner lol.

Hey all,

Just wondering where the best place to install this would be (Pi3)

Should I make a folder under OSMC or deeper, under /.kodi, called RPiPlay and clone the git there?

Thanks!

Just under /home/osmc for the compilation

Cool, thanks fzinkin!

Hi guys,

So I’ve installed this on a Pi Zero and exactly as per the instructions and its worked great, installed fine.

Ive now tried the exact same thing on a Pi 3 running OSMC and i’m getting this an error. This is from the top so you can see what I have done;

Code: Select all

osmc@osmc:~$ git clone https://github.com/FD-/RPiPlay.git
Cloning into 'RPiPlay'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 53, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (53/53), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (42/42), done.
remote: Total 2341 (delta 20), reused 19 (delta 11), pack-reused 2288
Receiving objects: 100% (2341/2341), 6.13 MiB | 2.58 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (1059/1059), done.
osmc@osmc:~$ cd RPiPlay
osmc@osmc:~/RPiPlay$ sudo apt-get install cmake
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
cmake is already the newest version (3.7.2-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
osmc@osmc:~/RPiPlay$ sudo apt-get install libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev
Building dependency tree
libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev is already the newest version (0.6.32-2).
osmc@osmc:~/RPiPlay$ sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
Building dependency tree
libssl-dev is already the newest version (1.1.0l-1~deb9u1).
osmc@osmc:~/RPiPlay$ mkdir build
osmc@osmc:~/RPiPlay$ cd build
osmc@osmc:~/RPiPlay/build$ cmake ..
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Unix Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a different build tool.
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Was your Pi Zero running OSMC or Raspian?
Most likely need a full build system

sudo apt-get install build-essential

That’s correct. Toolchain is missing.