Integrate AirPlay mirroring

Awesome. Thank you. I definitely will give it a try!

Greets

Thanks very much for posting this guide. Thanks to this setup, my toddler will be able to join in with his play class tomorrow on the big screen :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, once the binary is compiled, are any of the packages and vc/src files needed anymore? I removed them as a test and everything seemed to work OK…

Regarding point 3, yes you can use apt-get install package package2 package3 ...

Regarding point 4, I moved the rpiplay bin to /usr/local/bin. I believe the convention is that user installed software live here. That said, I also have hyperion and that installs to /opt :man_shrugging:

You can also have this running as a systemd service (no need to keep the terminal open or run screen/tmux) by creating the example file here:

(Note: remove the quotation marks from the system name value)

Once the file is saved, register it with:

systemctl daemon-reload

Set it to start automatically:

systemctl enable rpiplay

Start/stop it with:

systemctl start rpiplay
systemctl stop rpiplay

Note I found it was best to disable Kodi and Hyperion before screen mirroring:

systemctl stop mediacenter
systemctl stop hyperion

It would be very easy to make a Kodi Program add-on to execute the shell commands needed to stop the Kodi service and run rpiplay.

The only problem would be figuring out how to stop rpiplay automatically when you finish mirroring so you can return to Kodi.

New project based on RPiPlay to bring AirPlay mirroring to UNIX in general.
Hopefully someone can get this to work on a Vero device. :champagne:

1 Like

This uses GStreamer, so isn’t likely to work on any OSMC device at this time. AMLogic do have a GStreamer branch though, so it’s possible this could work in the future, but Kodi would have to be stopped.

Sam

Since this is open source I imagine we could fork it and make it kill kodi on startup and start it on exit.

Indeed. That wouldn’t be the challenging part.

What’s the legal difference to this versus the current AirPlay support?

Thank you @cckborg for this great how-to!

I was able to run it, but it was too laggy (like 1 i/s). Is it because my Raspberry PI 3 cpu is too slow for this? Because of my old WiFi 802.11n USB dongle is too old?

Did anyone tried RPiPlay on a Raspberry PI 3?

Edit: I get some “aacDecoder_DecodeFrame error : 0x400c” errors in the console

Thanks to all the authors of helpful information here!
Now it’s time to give something back:

Here’s a precompiled binary (working on my Pi 3 A+ running OSMC 2020.10-1):
https://github.com/rumpelrausch/rpiplay-osmc
(Feel free to cross-post this to other boards; I just don’t want to register everywhere…)

One of the tricks is to run it with the “low latency” option “-l”. Sound does not stutter anymore, but you might lose some video frames.

I did not apply any overclocking to the Pi but glued on some mini cooling plates.

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Does that also work for a rpi3b+ ?

Cheers

edit: ok it works fine. Thanks

@sam_nazarko alternative option: AirServer for Embedded Linux

*** AirServer for Embedded Linux is designed for hardware vendors to integrate AirServer technology into their own hardware solution. Although we support a wide variety of hardware, we do not support Raspberry Pi due to its lack of hardware resources.*

If your solution already uses Qt, integrating AirServer is a breeze.

Those two points together with the fact it is closed source make it quite unlikely to be a contender

thank you rumpelrausch – there were a few lines in your guide that might be better swapped from one section to another (the commands to move the various rpi files seem to be in wrong order?), but otherwise it worked perfectly on my pi3 model b

sudo make install will copy rpiplay to /usr/local/bin and add it to the the path.

@sam_nazarko what about official HomeKit & AirPlay2 support? Roku updated their old devices to add support. Would that be possible for the Vero 4ks? Or maybe for the next generation of Vero devices?

I think certifying the device for this would be too expensive and the level of demand for this feature doesn’t justify the time and expenditure to integrate this.

hi

sorry for bumping an old thread - I too would like to have airplay support as buying (another) appletv disappoint a bit the scope of having bought a vero4k.

would you be considering a licensed add-on for vero4k users?

I don’t think it’s something we could even license with Apple unfortunately.
Our best bet is for an open source solution.

That’s a shame as at the current all the possible solutions are pointing in using other devices. Some TVs have now Airplay2 support but unfortunately it’s only on high end and I would need a 24".