Internet Speed Indicator Needed

Hi I’m Daily user of OSMC and I really like it it’s amazing and thanks making it very easy to use. But I like if you guys add connectivity Indicator or download/upload real-time icon on home screen so it will be so easy to monitor the network connection…

This is already planned, however a speed test isn’t always indicative of how you’ll get on with streaming, as that can vary based on the file locker.

As you can imagine, providing a speedtest service will take a lot of bandwidth, so we need to work on the best approach

2 Likes

For a console option:
sudo apt-get install wavemon Then execute with wavemon and F10 to exit. You get some stats…not the actual speed…but what was downloaded/uploaded, signal strength etc

but for a much more detailed / browser interface : ntopng – ntop
which i tried, and it rocks!

I wrote a guide on how to install it but it was delete due to a misunderstanding.
You’ll have to read through their guide to install it.

1 Like
sudo apt-get install speedtest-cli

Then:

pi@domnfs:~ $ speedtest-cli Retrieving speedtest.net configuration... Retrieving speedtest.net server list... Testing from BT Global Services (217.33.127.173)... Selecting best server based on latency... Hosted by CSD Ltd (Braintree) [45.09 km]: 15.141 ms Testing download speed........................................ Download: 88.83 Mbits/s Testing upload speed.................................................. Upload: 87.13 Mbits/s
@sam_nazarko I suspect that could be made into a simple add-on.

2 Likes

Neat, wasn’t aware of that package. Thanks!

Sam

Speed test is different… need alive status on menu like Clock in right corner or weather information on left … It example… maybe I need to talk about this to Kodi Team … But thanks anyway… :slight_smile:

I have been using this fantastic package. However went to use it for the first time in a couple of months and got this
07%20PM

Has something changed in the last update? Thanks

sudo apt-get install speedtest-cli

1 Like

Thanks @ooZee :slight_smile: