iPlayer plugin version out of date (Broken)

Hi and thanks for that. How do you know this and why.
I have real issues with network manager on another system but why are both on my vero 4k?

Coming back to my main purpose here, it seems that my rather dated monitor and cheapo DVI to HDMI adaptor cannot cope with the output from my updated Vero 4k.

If I try connecting display to a DVD player with HDMI I can see a picture but the on screen display (OSD) tells me that I must adjust the timing, which may be true but I cannot change it yet.

The adjustments appear to be referred to as ā€œsharpnessā€ with steps 1 through 5. Trouble is I cannot get the OSD to work with the Vero4k plugged in, it will only come on if I plug laptop into analogue socket.
Is this an excuse for some shopping?

Please open a new thread to discuss an issue that has no relation to iPlayer which is the topic of this thread.

Thatā€™s an unusually existential question for this forum.

We dogs have a nose for such thingsā€¦

2 Likes

Hi,

Osmc comes with connman and you installed network-manager:

Commandline: /usr/bin/apt-get-real install -y openvpn network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome

By looks of it an openvpn guide recommends its, its nots required and openvpn will work without. should be safe to issue:

sudo apt-get -y remove network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome

Thanks Tom.

CaptainT has a Beta version of the plugin available with a fix for the change that the BBC made.
Works perfectly.

Download the zip file, scp to your OSMC device and load from zip.

1 Like

Many thanks all. Overwhelmed by helpful suggestions so many thanks again.

On advice I have started a new thread on display problem.

Returning to this thread, I have no idea when or how network manager was installed. Now I understand connman is the preferred network coonection system I shall remove network manager.

Many thanks for the fix link for the BBC changes. Since I am now moving on with Kodi 19 I shall not revert to using the fix unless I have other reasons for reverting to Kodi 18.

My interim fix is moving the Vero4k device to the TV and turning off the display.

Python is evil, it should just die, they bring out new versions and break code already written for the previous ones

A minor note that the breakage in question is the Python 2 ā†’ 3 transition. Python 3 came out in 2008, and Python 2 ceased all security support twelve years later (!) at the start of 2020, a year and a half ago now. The transition was difficult, and not terribly practical until 2012 or thereabouts, and it is annoying as hell that it had to happen, and the whole transition was fairly badly managed and terribly slow because nobody could transition until all their dependencies had already transitionedā€¦ but honestly twelve years between breaking releases isnā€™t that bad. (And there have been no more breaking changes since then, other than reversals of some unfortunate errors in the 3.0/3.1 days). But Kodi really cannot keep depending on a dead and unsupported language interpreter, particularly not given that that interpreter is exposed to the network: and IPlayerWWW in particular is directly exposed to the consequences of that transition (completely different handling of Unicode), so it would probably have been distinctly difficult to support both Python 2.7 and 3.x at the same time.

Itā€™s also notable that C++, perceived as a much more stable language, has broken working programs several times since 2008 (although the breakage was usually easier to fix than the Python-related changes). Even C has done it a couple of times, as anyone on a glibc-using system using ā€˜getlineā€™ as an identifier in their own code could report :frowning: