IPTables Mangle

Hi all.

I read on this post that Mangle should have been installed along with an update somewhere back in 2019. I’m looking at doing some VPN tunneling (this guide) but am getting the following error:

iptables v1.6.0: can't initialize iptables table `mangle': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Can someone shine some light on this and propose a possible solution?

Thank you!

Indeed, mangle still seems not to be present in the 3.14 kernel, though I believe that Sam has included it in the forthcoming 4.9 kernel. I have no idea why it wasn’t included back in Jan 2019.

One possible solution is to wait for the 4.9 kernel. I don’t know when that will be released to the stable repository – and I suspect Sam will say “when it’s ready” – though there is a beta (??) version of 4.9 available for testing.

Buster is next. 4.9 should be out in the wild by the end of the Summer and the next build should be extremely stable.

Sam

Drat, that will put my VPN tunnel project on hold. Although I’m always happy when I’m not the reason for my error.

Looking forward to the release that updates this. I’ve no problem switching to a beta branch if it is in there already.

Thank you both for the prompt replies and your dedication to this platform.